Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Five Loaf Homemade Whole Wheat Bread

Sam and Evan helped me make bread today and they did an excellent job!
I have finally found the perfect whole wheat bread for sandwiches, toast, and regular every day use!  I've tried so many!  It's taken me years!  There was always something wanting... and now I've found it!  (Okay it's still not as good as that bread you can buy in Utah, but this is healthier and homemade so I'm willing to call it even.)  I did this by hand, since I don't have a mixer, and you only have to let it rise once!  I left out the 2/3 cup of gluten since it's not so good for you and the bread still slices fine (gluten helps it hold together).   Gluten also needs to be refrigerated I think so it was a no-no for food storage since I like to plan for emergencies and I don't want to have to worry about whether or not something went bad and therefore my bread won't work.  This makes 5 loaves which is good because my oven can't fit anymore.  Two across the back and then three in the front.  The original recipe that I got also had 2 Tbsp of dough enhancer, which again I didn't want to have to store, so I substituted the egg, powdered milk, vanilla, and ginger for the dough enhancer since those are things I'd already have- less stuff to buy.  Altogether this recipe has 3 cups of white flour and about 10 cups of whole wheat flour.

Here is my recipe:
------------------------------------------------
5 c. Hot Water
3 c. White Flour
2 c. Whole Whear Flour
2/3c. Olive Oil
2/3c. Honey
1 Egg (or egg powder)
Pinch Ginger
Pinch (drops) Vanilla
1 Tbsp. Powdered Milk
2 Tbsp. Salt

Grease 5 bread pans so they're ready.
Add all of the above ingredients to a large mixing bowl.  Mix together.  Add 2 Tbsp Yeast and stir in.  Slowly add Whole Wheat Flour to mixture until dough begins to clean the sides of the bowl (about 5-7 cups).  Mix together on high speed for 10 minutes if you have a big bread mixer, otherwise by hand- 20 minutes on a clean floured wood board or counter.   Keep adding more whole wheat flour as needed so that dough doesn't stick and becomes smooth and elastic.  I do this gently and slowly until it's good and then knead it as best I can.  You will be tired by the time you are done.  You can count this 20 minutes as an arms and abs workout for the day. 

 Divide dough into 5 equal parts as best you can and form into loaves and put each loaf into it's pan.  Cover with towel and let rise until top of dough is about 1-2 inches above the sides of the pan. (1-2 hours, maybe more depending on the temperature and weather).

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  Let cool in pans for 10 minutes.  Remove from pans and cool on rack.   If you're family is not going to eat this in 1 week like mine, then you can freeze these loafs and pull them out later.

1 comment:

Cecilotta said...

I'm trying that SOON! I love my bread machine but it only makes 1 loaf, which is about a lunchtime's worth for us these days :) It would be nice to only make it once a week and those look delicious!