Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Tomato Caprese Salad

Some healthier dishes I've found recently, and thought I'd share! 

Tomato Caprese Salad
(The really yummy stuff I make with my fresh tomatoes)
  • Sliced fresh tomatos
  • Sliced soft mozzarella log
  • Fresh basil, or Basil Pesto (I like to buy mine from Costco)
  • Olive Oil
The above is a recipe I found on the internet for Tomato Caprese Salad.  When the girls here make it, they just spread the Basil Pesto on the tomato and then top with the Mozzarella and eat it like a little sandwich, but I loved this picture.

This is spaghetti squash spaghetti.  Cook spaghetti squash in a big pan of water boiling for about 1 hour.  Lift out of pan with two forks and set on cutting board.  Cut open in whatever way you want, scoop out seeds and discard.  The rest scoops out and separates into strands.  Top with tomato sauce and bits of mozzarella cheese.  Pretty good!

This is just a salad with balsamic vinegar as dressing.  Just gently boil the balsamic vinegar until it is thickened and it turns really sweet.  Only takes about 10 minutes.  I'm not really sure if this is healthier, but it must be since you aren't adding sugar to make the dressing sweet?  And you don't need oil or any other ingredient.  Tastes great!

Sprouting chickpeas(garbanzo beans) and lentils.  The lentils didn't work, but the chickpeas did and they tasted great.  Basically they tasted like alfalfa sprouts.  I didn't buy any special beans... just used the dried beans and lentils I had already to see if they would work. 

Kids love them!

My visiting teacher brought me these.  She is a cancer survivor as of recently and has started sprouting.  This is a jar of sprouted sesame seeds and another of sprouted quinoa.  I wasn't a huge fan of these.  Won't ever make them to eat plain, but they weren't bad on the tomatoes below (with a bit of salt) or mixed into yogurt.

 

1 comment:

Nathan and Sarah said...

I have been meaning to try a balsamic reduction. You have inspired me! Thanks!