Thursday, July 21, 2011

Personality test



As an activity with the young women at church we all took this color personality test.   Everyone is a mix of the four colors Red, Blue, Yellow and White, but what color are you predominantly?

I am predominantly Blue, with a far away second place of Red, then White, and last Yellow.

Pat is tied for first place with White and Yellow, and then tied for second place much lower with Red and Blue.  No surprise.

But sometimes I wonder if we are what we are because of the circumstances we're in.   Perhaps we'd be different at different stages in life.  In fact I'm sure of it.   Teenagers for example, and singles without the responsibilities of family are bound to have more Yellow in them because they can naturally be more carefree and fun.    Or for example, if I was married to someone with a different personality, would I be different too?   I think so, to a point.

The person teaching the class used the example of her Aunt, who she really grew to love only after her Uncle died.  You see, he was such a dominant, and her aunt was such a peacemaker, that her real personality didn't even come out until after he had passed.  I thought that was really interesting.

Can we develop the personality traits we wish we had?  Definitely, but it's not easy since it's not natural to us and sometimes requires that we step out of our comfort zone, or deal with a lot of frustration.  Believe me, I'm trying...

I've been reading about Gandhi, and I love this quote by him:

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words.

Choose your words for they become actions.

Understand your actions, for they become habits.

Study your habits, for they will become your character.

Develop your character, for it becomes your destiny."

We may be born with certain personality traits, however, that cannot define us.   It is up to us to decide who we will be.

No comments: