Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Breakfast ideas

I just had one of my favorite breakfast smoothies and wanted to share the idea with you.  I have some very healthy eaters/doctors at church that told me about this a couple years back when we just kept getting one illness after another.  It's supposed to boost your immune system.  I think it tastes great.  All but one of my children agree.   I couldn't find my camera, so I grabbed these pictures off the internet.  My shake doesn't look quite as green, but you can tweak it how you like it.
So for the recipe, you do: 1 can of pineapple (naturally sweet), a BIG handful of parsley (I use Italian, but any green herb will do), and a spoonful of plain yogurt (probiotics), a spoonful of ground flaxseeds, and to make it colder add ice or any frozen fruit (I did frozen mango).  Just blend it up.  It does not need any sugar!  So altogether you get the good yogurt, fruit, flaxseed, and green veggie and it is delicious!


I usually eat a piece of toast with butter pretty much every morning for breakfast.  If I'm really hungry, I'll fry an egg to put on top with a little salt.  Most days I just have the toast alone though.  I changed my bread to Ezekiel bread which I can now find at my regular store.  I lost 5lbs just doing this.  I use it for my sandwiches too.  It is more coarse, but I think regular bread tastes like unsweetened cotton candy now.   This is so much better for you.

Along with breakfast, I always eat a handful of raw nuts (almonds, walnuts) and if I have enough money for citrus fruit, then I eat a grapefruit or drink some lemon juice.  My kids all love citrus fruit.  I'd do oranges, but we seem to never get good ones where we live, and I'm so tired of wasting my money on them.

Of course if Pat is home and cooking, then we have omelets, pancakes, waffles, french toast, hashbrowns, etc.  I love those breakfasts.  Just not what they do to me!

Random other tips:  if I eat something sweet that I shouldn't have then I drink a Tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in maybe a cup of water.  It restores the acidic/alkaline levels in your body that the sugar will throw off, and it's really good for you.

Also, I've pretty much stopped eating cheddar cheese.  I've switched the kids over to mozzarella, and I eat that or cottage cheese.  One of my favorite lunches is cottage cheese with green chile on top (hey I live in NM!) and maybe some salt and pepper.   It's really good, and these cheeses are much healthier for your body.   I'm not trying to be preachy, because I mess up ALL THE TIME.  But these changes really have made a difference that I can feel and see.

1 comment:

Christy said...

The drink sounds great. I love making smoothies and always freeze my fruit during the summer so I can enjoy it all winter too! I want you to know that I appreciate your comments on my blog. We have been having issues and I couldn't comment on anyones blog for the longest time. Sorry. I wanted you to know that I do read it and enjoy it. Thanks for sharing and hopefully you will have more comments from me from now on!!