Sunday, December 18, 2011

Christmas Caroling

Since the houses where we live are so spread apart, and since it's so cold, the only place to carol to our neighbors is at Walmart.   And they were kind enough to let us!  I'm the one in the white shirt who somehow ended up leading.

What would we do without Santa, Mrs. Claus and the accordion.  Best instrument ever!



Our Santa is a total showman.  What a ham!  He really gets the crowds going.

Walmart dancers.  Everyone LOVED us.
Sometimes it gets depressing when you are so busy raising a family and fulfilling your many responsibilities and you start to not even know who you are anymore. I wanted my kids to see me having a hobby that I love, and friends. I hoped this would make me come home a better mother and be a good example for them in their own lives. I thought, what are my hobbies? Interests? Well music, of course! I have always loved music, and wished I could sing like I used to with my friends.  Our community could really use a music group.  We could perform all sorts of music! I've just got to find people who are interested in joining... (harder than it sounds).

I got started contacting families in my home-school group, church people in several congregations in the community, and I found a great accordion player from an accordion club in Albuquerque! It has turned out to take 10 times the effort to gather good musicians, and time than I thought it would, so I can't say that it fell together, but I actually got people to come, so that was a start. Right away they told me I needed to be a stronger leader, and I forced myself to do the best I could at that. I have NEVER lead a choir (besides primary), nor have I ever been in a school music group of any kind, so I was intimidated a bit by others in the group who are obviously more experienced than I, but hey, I started this thing, and they had a point... I needed to lead it!

We decided to choose some Christmas music (enough for a two hour program), and get our feet wet by caroling during December. We sincerely hoped to bring joy to people and lift their spirits with this gift of music.  I prayed much during this whole process that I would do the right things as the leader, and that everyone in the group would have fun, and be glad that they joined and want to come again, since I know what a sacrifice of time it is.   

I hope we continue to play together, and that we can draw in more people from different faiths and backgrounds, and that the group can just keep growing and improving.  I personally have always wanted to be in a Mariachi/Latin band, or a kids music band like the Wiggles, or Rock, Country, Celtic, Polka... it never ends!  I love it all!


These two pictures below are at the hospital.


Rebecca taking us around to the different floors.  There was a mom who just had a stroke and was paralyzed from the neck down, who has twin 11 month old babies at home, along with a 5 year old and 15 year old.  What words are there for that?  I can't even think about it.
I loved the songs we sang.  Here they are:
O Come All Ye Faithful
Away in a Manger
We Wish You a Merry Christmas
Coventry Carol
Pat-a-Pan (flutes)
Twas in the Moon of Wintertime
What Child is This
God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
Jingle Bells (with bells to pass out to the kids)
The First Noel
Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer
In the Bleak Midwinter
Accordion's choice-don't remember what he played here
O, ce veste minunata (Romanian carol)
Angels We Have Heard on High
Heigh Ho (Round)
Silent Night (German, Spanish, English w/sign language)
Sleigh Ride (with bells)
Violin's choice
Hark the Herald Angels Sing
Joy to the World
O Holy Night (absolutely stunning)
Winter Wonderland
Chipmunk song (hula hoop)

We totally nailed all but two songs and even those weren't so bad.  It was our best performance yet, and everyone just loved it.  It was so fun!

2 comments:

llegue said...

I would have loved to be a part of this if I still lived in Edgewood! Very Cool!

Dana Faina Waters said...

I enjoyed singing with you all! I still wish I had that video.