Friday, January 13, 2012

Random thoughts

Leia, let's change your diaper.  (Immediately she runs away.)
And hides...
And is just so funny!
I  always think I'll post my schedule of how we do school, and what curriculum's we use, but then it changes in one way or another, so I never post it.  Now I think I just need to do it and post it every time it changes too.  It may be helpful to someone someday.  And news flash, Karisa, schedules with children are never set in stone!  In fact with babies they can change daily.  In other words, I used to think that through researching and trying different curriculum's I'd get it narrowed down to one thing for each subject and stick with it through high school.  Now I know that each child is different, their needs different, and that change is good!  It expands their abilities and way of thinking.  We've been using Rod and Staff for English, Grammar, Reading, Vocab, etc., but I realized that it was mostly filling in the blanks, which is good- kids need to be able to read something and remember what they read and come up with the answers, but we just switched Sam and Dallas to some different stuff that requires more discussion which has been good already.  Dallas is in Total Language Plus, and he had to read The Whipping Boy, which is a fun story, but with a great analogy to Christ.
In fact since it went with the story, I told Dallas how when I was 4 and Jeremy was 2, I broke a measuring tape, and I knew by how mad my mom was that I was going to get spanked for it.  So I told her that Jeremy did it, because he couldn't really talk and defend himself, though he tried.  I've always felt bad about that, and I did end up telling my mom the truth later that night (wearing all my underwear for padding- though she didn't spank me).  Then I asked Dallas, how do you think Jeremy felt getting punished for something that was my fault?  I did it. It was my choice.  How does it feel to know that Jesus willingly suffered for us.?  He was our "whipping boy".  It doesn't seem fair does it?  Yet God knew we needed a Savior, and gave His only Begotten Son, and Christ knew what had to be done, and loved us enough to do it.  If we repent, we need not suffer as He did.   (Now forgive me while I go into Handel's Messiah, but I just love it so much)

Behold the Lamb of God
That taketh away, the sin of the world
A man of sorrows, acquainted with grief
despised, rejected
He hid not his face from shame and spitting
Surely He hath borne our griefs and carried our sorrows
He was wounded for our transgressions
and bruised for our iniquities
and with his stripes we are healed
all we like sheep have gone astray
we have turned, everyone to his own way
and the Lord hath laid on Him(self) the iniquity of us all.

The truth of those words could not be more beautiful.
Back to the post:

Sam has switched to Great Books and I don't really have an opinion on it yet, since I'm just getting into it, but we enjoyed the story from yesterday, discussing how to be a friend.
I am also realizing that although I'm not an unschooling type of homeschooler, where you let your children direct their learning completely, I really don't think it would hurt a child to just grow up in their father's shadow, following him around at work, or their mother, and never even go to school.  So many of our founding fathers did just that, doing their book learning on their own or with their parents at home.  Then they could explore what interested them, or learn a trade, and get to know the world and why hard work is important.   I really do think kids would learn a lot. 
For instance, this year we've been studying plants, but it has been really frustrating because most of the projects want us to collect leaves, and do other things that New Mexico can't provide.  Especially in the wintertime. But there's an organic garden place that takes community volunteers, and I realized that if we do that this spring, they would learn more than they could out of a book.  Yes we'll still do what we can in the book, but hands on is so much better.  And we hope to do our own garden again this year.  It's a huge struggle to grow anything here, but we get a bit better every year.
Also, Pat and I are always trying to eat healthier, and follow the Word of Wisdom better.  I believe in eating a mostly plant based/whole foods diet, but believing something and doing it are two different things.  You just have to keep trying and slowly get better.  Abraham Lincoln said, "I do not think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday."
As I explained to the kids about how we would be cutting back a lot on meat (we now buy no lunch meat, and have greatly reduced our other meats), and how we'd be cutting back on milk and cheese and how we'd need to learn to eat beans and vegetables more, Dallas completely understood.  In fact he told me about Daniel in the Bible when he was carried away to Babylon and the king wanted to feed him certain foods, but Daniel would not eat the king's meat or wine.  Then Dallas told me how Daniel and his friends turned out healthier than the others by eating vegetables.  I sure think Dallas is neat.
And I can tell you that your kids will eventually like it.  Sam is my hardest to feed.  Period.  But even he begs me for a big wedge of purple cabbage or a radish or a big fresh carrot to chomp on. 
And speaking of Sam, yesterday, he had to read a short story, and I was teaching him to do a book report- so kind of summarize what was in the story- pull out the most important stuff- condense it- you know.
He cried through it, but he understood, and today he did the short story all on his own and did a nearly perfect job.  I am so proud of him!  It's nice to know that you're efforts as a teacher are not in vain.

To conclude this rambling post, I just want to say that as of yesterday, Pat and I have been married 11 years.  I looked back through all the photos to find a wedding picture to post, but then remembered that there were no digital cameras back then.  And I don't have a scanner, so no luck.  In looking through the photos though I noticed a common theme.  Me pregnant, nursing, or with small children.  For 10 years now.  Very rarely is there a picture of us together, since we had children quickly and one of us is always holding the camera and the other the baby.  We don't have very many friends.  We are friendly, but there aren't usually people hanging out at our house, taking family pictures for us.  But it's all good, it could be worse.  At least we do things together as a family, and I'm grateful to Pat for being a good husband, and father, and for all the hard work he does for us.  He's put up with me for 11 years, and that takes a strong man.  I love him very, very much.

Added bonus: funny things said lately
Dallas, what's a tutor?
Someone who toots.

Overheard, Evan talking to Leia.
Leia, do you want to take another bath?
Leia:Hmmm
Then Leia, if you want to take another bath then just poop in your diaper again!  (recalling her gigantic blow-out this morning).

These two guys just got back from their missions and agreed to come talk to the young women at church about dating.  It was pretty funny, and I really appreciated them being such good sports.

1 comment:

Cecilotta said...

I always forget that you guys have the same anniversary as us. Happy 11 years to us both! I know what you mean about curriculum - we change all the time. It's more fun that way ;)