Saturday, June 30, 2012

Fun Activities

I needed a cute/funny outfit for Sundays when I'm in with the young women at church.  We wanted to take a minute to ask each girl for some good news about her week.  So I thought I could be like Tinkerbell- you know- because happy thoughts makes you be able to fly?  That along with some pixie dust.  So I made an apron that looks like this one below, although mine is pink and red, and I don't know how to sew, so I had no pattern, I just did it, and it turned out so cute!  I'll post a picture when I get one.  It took less than $10 to make (1 and 1/2 yards of material and thread only), and about 4 hours, but I'd have a hard time doing it again, since I just did it without a plan. (Pat even had to thread my bobbin for me since I can never remember how.)

Now I know an apron doesn't really go with the whole Tinkerbell thing, but it was cute and I'm not going to dress like Tinkerbell. But after they share a happy thought I sprinkle glitter on them so they can fly!  (Like a couple pieces only because glitter can really get stuck in your hair.)
Recently we also had an activity with the young men and young women combined at church that I ended up being in charge of because some stuff happened, and although the picture below is not mine, it shows kinda what we did.  We played water baseball.  It was so fun!


We have a tiny grass yard on one side of our church building and I wasn't sure if there'd be enough room, but it turned out perfect.  We used a woofle/wifle?  bat, water bombs for the balls (those are the little sponge balls you can buy at Target) and all the bases were some type of water obstacle.

First base: Plastic kiddie pool that they had to jump in and sit.
Second base: Chair with a big sponge they had to sit on.  There was a bucket of water next to the chair to keep it wet.  However by the end of the night as people landed on second base the person there would ring out the sponge on the runners head.
Third base: Crazy sprinkler coiled around the base
Home base: Slip n' Slide into home like the above picture.

Since there were so many kids we moved the batter's spot a bit off to the side from where everyone was sliding into home to avoid collisions. 

The pitcher also had a bucket of water so that they could keep the balls soaked.

And we had Beach Boys music playing in the background.

I brought Pat with me since I didn't want to have to figure out the rules of baseball and keep score.  We decided that anyone could throw the ball at the runner and get them out.  That worked well. The balls weren't too hard.  Either that or we were lucky.

At the end the bases were loaded, the score tied, with two outs and the young men's leader made us end it since our time was up.  So then we ate popcorn and cookies and drinks and everyone went home sopping wet.  It was great.

1 comment:

Christy said...

What an AWESOME and fun activity. I might suggest it to my young women's leader. I know they are always looking for something fun to do. So glad it all worked out!