Sunday, August 12, 2012

News

In Stake Conference today I was sustained and set apart to be in the new Stake Young Women's presidency.  I am sad to leave the girls in the ward since I have activities planned throughout the rest of the year that I was looking forward to, and they are sweethearts who put up with me and all my flaws, but I am so excited about who I get to work with, and for a new challenge.  The new president was the leader of girls camp so we worked together a lot at girls camp and had a lot of fun together and I love her super organized, happy way of being.  In the blessing they gave me they said to put my family first, and that I would have good health, which just happened to be the two things I have been most worried about- how to handle everything, you know.  And to share my ideas with the president, to stay on the right path, and just impressed upon me beautifully the great importance of the work we will do with the young women. 
Oh!  And I just finished the program that all the young women do called 'Personal Progress'.  It is a program designed to help young women to have experiences to gain and faith in Jesus Christ, to feel the Spirit of God, and to develop their talents and find out about themselves and who they are.  It has only taken me slightly over 20 years to complete since I never did it when I was supposed to, so I finally did it!!!  And I have the beautiful necklace to prove it!  I'm being kind of silly, but now that I've done it, and learned some new skills like song writing and sewing, I feel sad that I didn't do it when I was young since I'm only now, as a 36 year old, discovering some of these talents and interests.  I could have had so much more direction in my college years and been quite talented at some of these by now rather than just be barely starting. Hindsight.  Better late than never I guess!  When they called me up to the front of the congregation to present it to me the member of the bishopric pointed out that it hadn't been signed by my parent and everyone laughed.

I have been going through tons of school stuff to get ready for school and we start tomorrow!!!  I'm mostly ready, but aaagghh!!!  I guess I just feel like we didn't even have a vacation this year, so we never got away from the house and now were going to get right back at it without any break whatsoever.  But pssst!!  I have a secret!!!  Grandma Stanger is majorly helping us to go to Disneyland soon, and the boys don't even know!!!  Do you know how exciting a secret that is to keep!!  I'm not telling them until like two days before.  Dallas has overheard a lot of stuff and guessed it, but I told him it was for next year because you really have to plan ahead.  Hopefully (and I'm pretty sure) he bought it.

Also one last thing I'm behind on mentioning is that the kids and I were in a car accident.   A young guy pulled out in front of me and I had no choice and hit him.  Thankfully, we were all okay, besides some seatbelt burns and bruises.  It was terrifying and I immediately fell apart and sobbed and sobbed while I pulled the kids out of the smashed and undrivable van.  Luckily the guy knew he was at fault and he was hugging me and really worried about us.  Unfortunately he didn't have insurance or somehow his insurance (Progressive) found a way to get out of paying.  So my insurance covered it except for our deductible, and they are going after they guy for all the money.  Sad.  They did think my car was fixable, and we just got it back and it cost almost as much to fix it as what we just bought it for, but it looks perfect again and I was glad to have it back since we love this van. 

The miracle was that immediatly when the accident happened one stranger, and one friend from church just happened to be there and they stopped and took care of all the exchanging of information and took my kids away from the accident since I had to be there for quite a while.  I wouldn't have been able to function on my own and the fact that it could have been so much worse, I think it is truly a miracle.

Still I was very worried and sick about it and cried all day, and felt awful, but somehow we ended up having a family night right before the kids went to bed.  We could tell they were unsettled about the accident, and just reading scriptures, playing some games and being together really helped to calm us all down.

Now completely off topic I just want to say that Pat's hair is so long he's wearing one of my hairbands and he looks kind of pretty.  Also my roof is leaking and it's running down the inside of the wall and ruining it.  I cannot take it, so I'm not going to think about it.  Pat's up in the attic right now trying to find the leak. 

3 comments:

Christy said...

Karisa, you amaze me how you are holding it all together. You are a rock star!! I have been in a minor car accident before and I know how it can play with your nerves and emotions. It is so hard to control it all, even when everyone is basically ok. I am so glad that everyone is safe, even if the car expense part isn't fun. I am so glad your friend was there. What an amazing blessing.

Good luck with school starting. Oh and WOO HOO about Disneyland!! You are going to have so much fun!!

Christy said...

PS, congrats on getting your medalian. That is AWESOME!! And your new calling. You are going to do great. All those creative genes of yours are going to be a wonderful addition to your stake young womens!!

Karisa said...

Thanks so much Christy!