Sunday, September 23, 2012

Last minute trip

In which D nearly gets mauled by a bear
So we had planned to go to Disneyland with my family, but plans got cancelled when my brother had a tragic accident.  If Jeremy reads this, he'll roll his eyes at how dramatic I'm being, but it scared us bad.  I can't stand it when bad things happen to him, and I'd say falling from, what was it, 28ft? up, and landing on a marble floor, breaking at least 10 bones, with a cracked skull, concussion, bleeding out his ear, and having to be in ICU several days, is pretty tragic.  Not to mention that when he doesn't work, he doesn't get paid, and he'll be worried about that and try to work again too soon.  I hate living so far from home.  Not that he needs me.  He has Kim and his daughter Elle, and my mom and sister and all of Kim's family and friends, but it still sucks.  I love my brother!

So, back to my story, Disneyland got cancelled.  The boys were packed, we hadn't had a vacation all summer, and we were ready to get away.  So we took the opportunity of Pat having a business trip in Denver, to hitch a ride with him and join him.  Well normally he flies, but since we were all coming we drove the 7 hours to Denver.  Long drive.  Yuck!

Leia on the moon.

Still, we had a great time!  We didn't have to pay for hotel, since his work does that for him, and some of the food allowance he got we just used to buy groceries since our hotel had a little kitchen and we cooked there like we were at home.  We even brought all our school books and did our school.  The kids loved the hotel room.  It had a loft for Pat and I with a queen bed and bathroom up there and downstairs it had a fold out bed and fold out couch for the kids and their own bathroom.  So it was like a little home. And they were thrilled to have all the channels we don't, and thrilled with the free breakfast, and never stopped turning all the lights off and on, hiding in the closets, etc.  They also got to swim the first day, before they closed down the pool.

Life on Denver's beaches


We did spend money on an awesome museum and went to the zoo, and a bouncy house, and stopped at a couple parks along the way.  Two of the four days of the vacation were just spend driving, but the other two days were great and we had a great time.
Picture of Denver

I did sprain my ankle coming down the stairs carrying Leia the first day.  It hurt really bad, and then seemed fine, and I walked around a lot on it, until about 4 hours later when I was in bed and it just got worse and worse.  I could barely move my foot at all.  I couldn't sleep because of the pain. And in the morning when I woke up to use the bathroom, I couldn't walk on it.  Pat left for work, and I was on my own.  Not wanting to ruin our vacation yet again with another injury, I fretted about what to do.  I just wanted to stay in bed, but we were supposed to go to the museum.  After about an hour I could put a little weight on it, so since Pat was at work, me and the kids set of for the museum.  (About an hour drive through the busy freeways and streets of Denver- which should have been 1/2 hour but my directions told me to go South instead of North- thus requiring correction time).

Denver's colder, lesser known wilderness

When we got there I rented a wheel chair and the kids pushed me around.  Pat showed up after a work. It was such a big museum that we were there about 4 hours total.  There was no end to the different wings and exhibits to be seen.  The kids loved it, and learned a lot, since there was a lot of hands on stuff.  I got a lot of sympathetic looks.  (Wheelchair bound mother with four kids- can you imagine?)


A puppet show that went wrong when the squid and octopus attacked.
Also, the boys all wanted to push me, and I was glad that I didn't become a burden to them, but they are also not the safest drivers.  They like to go way too fast and crash into things, so I used arm power as much as I could.

L and a gorilla at the zoo.  You can't tell in the picture but he was frighteningly huge.
Evan liked the bouncy house the best.  All the kids played so hard and got so sweaty there.  And little Leia, threw herself down the hugest slides like a lunatic.  They all laughed and played forever. There was this one part at the bouncy house where Pat forced me into this bouncy-obstacle course which hurt my foot, my pregnant belly and boobs because I didn't fit, my pants that I can't zip up were falling down, and at the big slide at the end, he pushed me when I wasn't ready and I got my skin rubbed off on my elbow!   When I was able, with much pain, to finally get off, I marched away without a word.  Yes I throw fits.  This would have never happened at Disneyland.


Our wagon at the zoo.
He did take me out to a nice restaurant that night, so I stopped being mad at him after a while.  It was a terrific restaurant, and the kids behaved splendidly besides Leia spilling her water which is just her mealtime ritual.  And now we're back home, safe and sound, and our kind neighbors took care of the animals and everything is well.  It was fun to do something last minute!  Thanks Denver! (I never took pictures at the bouncy house or too much of anything on this trip- didn't feel like it.  Just wanted to enjoy.

There were dinosaurs at the museum

And Indian exhibits

And a health and human body area that was probably the most fun of all- all sorts of interactive stuff.
And my foot doesn't bother me too much now.  Not sure if I should still go to a doctor or not.
 My brother is healing up well according to my mom and sister, and when I talked to him he sounded happy and full of energy.  He's at home now, but he better not try anything work-wise for weeks.  He's got a lot of recovery and we pray for him daily.  Love you Jeremy. 

1 comment:

Christy said...

What a fun vacation. I love that you made the most of what you had and did some fun things! I am sure the kids will remember it as a GREAT time. The hotel sounds pretty cool too! Glad it had lots of room!