Thursday, January 17, 2013

Mac n' Cheese and Hamburger Salad

I am sharing a couple of my favorite recipes that are new to me.  I hope you enjoy them!
The first is macaroni and cheese that I saw in a magazine somewhere.  It has lots of cauliflower in it which I really love since you are getting a vegetable and you almost can't tell there's cauliflower in it, and it is soo easy!  Whether you use the cauliflower or not, the sauce is super easy.  We used to make a white sauce and cook the noodles separately, and then stir them together, but I think this tastes better and is so much easier!

1 pound macaroni
small head of cauliflower chopped small like the macaroni
12oz. sharp cheddar, shredded
1 c. sour cream
pepper, salt, garlic powder

Bring water to boil, salt well.  Add noodles and cauliflower, and cook until noodles are done.  Drain all but about 1/2 cup of the cooking water.  Stir in the sharp cheddar, sour cream, and seasonings and serve!  Serves at least 6 hungry people.





This next one comes from Rachel Ray and we had it last night although we made turkey burgers.  The link for the recipe is below. It's basically mini hamburgers without buns, made into a salad with the things you'd normally have: pickles, onions, tomatoes, lettuce, with a mustard dressing.   My kids still wanted ranch dressing for the salad, and ketchup for the burgers, but it was terrific, and we all loved it.  If carbs are no problem, you can have bread on the side!
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/mini-cheeseburger-salad-with-yellow-mustard-vinaigrette-recipe/index.html

p.s. I didn't exactly follow this recipe, and kinda made my own mustard dressing with what I had.

No comments: