Friday, May 3, 2013

Hagar the Horrible

One day at the store, a lady I was standing behind in line, invited the boys to join her play, Hagar the Horrible for the community here in our town.  I knew she was a retired teacher and had seen her doing story time at the library and at other charity functions around town, so I said we'd try to come.  That was at the beginning of April.  After four practices in two weeks, there were four performances, and it all finished up in the same month!  We came in late of course, everyone else had practiced more, but it was a blessing for us, because I couldn't  have handled more.  We got in at the last moment!

The boys were reluctant (to put it mildly) at first, and now they both want to be in her future plays.  It was too unorganized for my taste but I was just glad to have a free learning opportunity which for homeschoolers is awesome!  I mean, I paid for a theatre class for D when he was four that wasn't near as awesome as this free opportunity.

The play was about Vikings and Hobbits and Mermaids and Fairys- I had a hard time figuring it all out, but the boys had to memorize lines, speak loudly, dance, sing, change costumes, and enjoyed playing with all the other kids in between, and even got a t-shirt with their names, a button, and cd with the music as souvenirs.  They were also well fed.  Who could ask for anything more?
Getting ready for the first performance.  It was located at our towns zoo.

D as Frodo.  S as a townsperson.  They're performing the song 'There's No Time Like the Dark Ages'.

S as the guard for the king of England.  He was also a soldier from Scotland at one point and that costume looked awesome on him, but I didn't get a picture of it.

D ad S as kings guard.




Pat understood the play better and after he explained it, it was quite funny.  All the kids had trouble talking too quietly so I missed a lot.  But hopefully they'll get better as they grow.  Maybe.  Maybe not.

1 comment:

Christy said...

Any chance to give kids a chance to perform is GREAT!! It is a good learning tool.