Sunday, May 26, 2013

Hiking the Sandias

So once or twice a year I take over Karisa's blog and share something I've done.  To start off my weekend I went out with my neighbor on Friday morning to hike around in the mountains near our home.  We figured they were going to close the forest lands soon because of how dry it is and we wanted to get our fun in before that happened.  This is a hike we'd been talking about doing for a couple of years and so it was nice to check this one off of our list.

Yeah, even on Memorial day weekend it's cold early in the morning at 10,000 feet.

It took us about half an hour to get to the Tram terminal from where we parked.  This is a picture of our destination, a ridge that juts out from the main mountain face, we were going as far as you could go without climbing equipment to right about the middle of the picture (traveling from left to right), just before the last upward jut on the right.

Yeah, we were high up.  One of the first tram cars coming up after we were finished.

Roads?  Where we're going, we don't need roads.
This was a fun part of the hike, dropping around 500 feet of elevation in about .3 miles going through scrub oak and aspens.

If you look closely you can see the tram terminal in the background.

My friend thought this was funny for some reason, me afraid of heights and leaping carelessly from rock to rock with 800 foot drops on both sides.

I love this picture, it gives a bit of scope.  The mountains are so massive and we are so small.  I love nature.  When I look down, from lofty mountain grandeur and see the brook, and feel the gentle breeze.  Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to Thee, How great Thou art, How great Thou art.

Can you see me scared to death?  Five points on the ground, getting some courage to carry on.  There's something absolutely wonderful of taking yourself to the point where your legs are shaking, your palms are sweating, your heart is racing, your breathing is coming quickly and then you push through it and conquer your fears.


At the end of the journey, resting up before heading back.  Yeah, that's a really, really long way down.

Scariest part of the journey for me.  I'm fine as long as I don't have to look down but that was inevitable here as there weren't many places to put my feet.  The narrowest part of the way, some of the largest drops on both sides.
Mike signing the Geocache.

No comments: