Saturday, August 10, 2013

Getting ready

We have been SUPER busy getting ready for school and the crazy Fall.  Instead of buying curriculum for homeschool, we are busy buying uniforms, lunchboxes, backpacks, and the LONG list of supplies for each classroom.  And since I won't be homeschooling, I've had to fit speech, piano, soccer, scouts and our meetings each on different nights of the week after school rather than doing some during the daytime like usual.  Some nights are doubled up because we have to go to speech twice a week which is a huge drive into Albuquerque, and also piano and soccer are two separate days because I have a lot of kids.  I told Pat not to sign the kids up for soccer this year, but they really wanted to.  And Pat's coaching again. 

Our days are jam packed and I wonder if I'll ever have a quiet moment to meditate and reflect until Christmas!  I'm also worried about being disengaged from their education like never before.  I always did Evan's homework with him last year, but it no where approaches homeschooling.  I'm already missing our special moments at home.  I just keep telling myself, it's just a year.  You can make it through a year.  

On the whole we are terribly blessed.  There are only three of these schools in the country and for us to have one here, is just HUGE.  I mean, there's NOTHING here!  But then the issue of the Common Core curriculum (which our state adopted)- came up and I wished I had never enrolled them.  I found out our school doesn't use the curriculum, they just see that they meet the standards for it, which are mild compared to the schools standards, but still... they have to be involved in it, probably the testing too,  and I'm sure someone is collecting data on my kids that may not be used in entirely innocent pursuits.  Also, they want so much personal information!  Why do they need to know our income for the free lunch program when our school doesn't even serve lunch?  "Because everyone has to do it", is not a good answer.  This better be some awesome year or...  (Yes I am grumpy.)

However, I am really excited about D and E's teachers.  They got the best teachers!  Sam, unfortunately, has one of D's old teachers from that other school and I'm not a fan.  I'm kinda sad, because this is his first time in school ever.  I asked him to be changed, but I don't know anything about the other teacher and I don't know if they will switch him or if that's the right thing to do.  All I can do is pray that it will work out.

To make things even crazier, I just found out I'm having surgery.  I have never fully healed from Charlie's birth.  I am very nervous, and it's not the type of surgery you talk about, so I've felt very alone. Long ago, women must have just lived their life in pain until the day they died, because there was no option of surgery.  My heart goes out to them, and I just wish I could talk to them and we could commiserate.

But I'm also feeling blessed, and have a wonderful family and wonderful husband.  Dallas came to me today and said he would fast for me tomorrow, which he came up with on his own. He is a dear sweet son.  Almost 11 years old and just so so neat.



3 comments:

Christy said...

I am sorry you have to have surgery, but thankful it is an option and I will be praying that you recover well. I know and understand your fears about Common Core. Our school is starting it this year and I just want to pull all my kids out and protect them. One of my kids teachers sent home a paper that asked about their hobbies and likes and dislikes because he wants to get to know him better and all I could think of was "is this going to go on some data base somewhere?". I even put in the comments that I didn't want the information recorded anywhere and felt so sad that I had to say that. I am with you, I just keep praying that this is the right thing and just keep listening to the spirit. Good luck!

Karisa said...

Thanks Christy!

Karisa said...

Thanks Christy!