Thursday, September 26, 2013

What's your theme song?


I have a song for each of my kids that is their song.  The ones not living have two songs.  The only rule is that I have to enjoy singing it and others can join in too.

Lauralei- Laura No Esta- Nek & Loreli- Styx (we were young and I don't actually sing these).


Dallas- Somewhere Over the Rainbow- Israel Kamakawiwoʻole version.


Sam- Edelweiss


Evan- Stay Awake- Mary Poppins


Ben Anthony- Vivir Sin Aire- Mana & Sweet By and By


Leia- Molly Malone


Charles- Chocolate Ice-Cream Cone or the Banana Boat Song (De-o!).

Pat has his own song too.  It seemed too perfect.  El Paso- Marty Robbins.  Just kidding.  Actually the song that reminds me most of him is Love is Like Oxygen by Sweet.  I remember he sang it once and it sounded so weird since I had never heard it before. 

If I were to pick my own theme song it would be Ode to My Family by Cranberries- I've loved them since I was a teenager and this song especially, but I adore most all their songs.  I love to sing it and to feel my youth.  I love that they're Irish and that Pat and I went to Ireland.  In Ireland amateurs can go to pubs and play music and you don't have to feel like you're in a bar 'cause families go.  It's social for all ages.  I would love that.  And Dolores doesn't grind or flaunt herself while singing which is probably why they are underrated.  She is who she is.  Maybe a bit weird and different, but so am I.  Cranberry red just happens to be my favorite color too- could it be more perfect?

If we had a family song it would probably be the Polka, Hoop de doo.  Either that or the Johnny Appleseed song, "Oh, the Lord's been good to me...".  Or the Wiggles, "Say the dance, do the dance... Can you stand like a statue?"

I also have a song for my brother Jeremy.  The Only Living Boy in NY by S&G.  I love that song and it fits since he used to live there. I don't think he'd ever let me sing it to him though without heavy eye rolling and cracking jokes the whole time.

Eventually everyone will be rolling their eyes and cracking jokes when I sing them their songs, and that's all right by me- as long as they know that I love them!


5 comments:

Steph said...

Ahem. What's MY song?

Steph said...

Also, I love that cranberries song and they remind me of you anyway, do good choice!

Sarah said...

Are you sure yours isn't Copa Cabana? I like to think my song is Brown Eyed Girl, but I think Eric and the kids would probably pick something more like Crazy by Gnarls Barkley.

Karisa said...

Ha! - you crack me up Sarah! You'll have to explain the Copa Cobana to me. I love Brown Eyed Girl- so it's officially your song. Inform your family.

And Steph- I knew you'd approve of Cranberries :)

I am busily working on your song. I'll let you know this weekend!

Christy said...

That's a fun idea and I love the picture! I love that you sing it to them. We have a car theme song that we put on every time the whole family is in the car for a road trip. We save it until they are driving us crazy and then play it. No matter what was going on, everyone stops and sings the whole song as we blare it on the radio. :) Songs make me happy! I may adopt this!