Saturday, June 14, 2014

Looks like Rain- update of life

It seems like it's getting harder and harder to find time to write.  So these posts end up with the quickest note about everything we've been doing.  I always go back and add things in my posts later when I have time.  But for now, lets just be glad there's something.

We had lots of rain a couple weeks ago.  In this picture, I told her that I thought it was going to rain.  Next thing I know she comes out dressed in this cute outfit.  She cracks me up.   Pat made her laugh today and she wet her pants, which happens whenever anyone makes her laugh, and she said, "Dad, you wet my pants".   She and I were laughing the other day and she snorted, so I snorted back, and then she busted up, and that was the day I wet her pants.
Here she is with Charles sneaking food in the pantry.

Charles negotiated this step for a long time.  What step you ask?  That little bump from the carpet to the fireplace.  Scary, man.

For a while he would only sit down and scoot off of it.  Still scary, man.
But then he got brave.  And one day...

He did it!

The first week of June I was gone at Girls Camp and Dallas was gone at a scout camp.    He had a great time, except that they starved him all week.  I'm still really upset about that.  They had 90+ boys show up when they were expecting 50, so they cut everyone's food in half and he was so hungry he was eating moss off the trees.  (They had just taught him that most moss is safe to eat, so, since he was starving, he actually ate moss.  He said he ate so much, it gave him a tummy ache.) A corn dog and scoop of salad is not enough for 11-18 year old boys!  A granola bar is not enough breakfast for hiking, bridge building, swimming, game playing scouts!  Why couldn't someone go to the store?!  This is what happens when the spirit whispers, you don't need to go to camps this year.  Focus on getting out of debt which is your goal.  You don't have money for this God will make up the difference on the things you miss out on. But you stubbornly pay for camps anyway thinking it's necessary because (insert stupid reason of choice). 

Girls camp went well, though I didn't take any pictures.  The skits were hilarious, and the spiritual aspect was amazing.  Seriously.  I've never seen anything like it.  It was a little weird not going as cook (though I helped in the kitchen a lot), but just as a stake leader, taking sick girls home, thinking logistics, etc...  I was really distracted and worried about Dallas the whole time too.  He is only 11 and was gone from home for 5 nights and 6 days, and didn't have a single friend with him.  It all worked out, but it taught me a lesson in priorities.  Thank you Heavenly Father for watching over him while he was at camp, and I'm sorry for not listening to you and just waiting until next years camp.

Sam, too,  got an overnight campout alone with Dad when they went to pick up Dallas the night before he was to go home.  They slept under the stars, and Sam took delight in telling me about all the bugs that crawled over him.  He likes to freak out his mother.  In fact all my boys do.

Here are the two camp song books together.

My life has been lived at the doctor's office lately.  Okay, it always is.  You don't even know. Start with 5 well-child visits per year alone.  Then add in all the sick visits for illnesses, diaper rashes, and other weird things that pop up, and you get the picture.
 Since it's an hour away from my house, these trips take most of my day once all's said and done. 

Here's this weeks installment of thrift store shopping: While browsing at my local thrift shop, I saw this beautiful sofa that is leather and looks brand new.  Never have I seen anything this nice at a thrift or second hand or consignment shop.  My current thrift store couches have finally ripped open and the insides are coming out (they weren't in great condition to begin with).  $300 is a pretty good deal for this well made sofa but it wasn't in our budget so I left the store.  Then I talked to Pat and we decided to get it.  I would have paid at least $1000 more than that to buy it new, which is what we planned on doing in a couple years, so...

I am always amazed at Heavenly Father's blessings.  I pray about the things we need and often He sees fit to provide it for us.  Usually as a hand-me-down, or at a thrift store.  I have had to do that recently for suitcases and duffel bags, a carriage thingy to attach to a bike to haul kids, clothes for the kids, spoons and forks and other kitchen stuff, and clothes for me that people ask me 'where did you get that?' and I tell them exactly where I got it.  The thrift store!  I love finding a nice outfit and spending $4 on the whole thing.   

Although recently, I was on my last pair of jeans and they were about to rip, and I prayed to come across a new pair of jeans, when lo and behold I received a bag of my friends daughters old clothes, with four pairs of nice jeans, and only one problem... they're a size smaller than me!  It's like God's calling me fat.

These purple flowers have been covering Edgewood for weeks.  I love them!  I've never seen so many carpets of purple!  This picture doesn't do it justice.  Dallas had a party for school friends at a home right around the corner from my home.  Walking there was just purple everywhere, and the friend who had the party just moved here from New York City.  Her thick accent was unmistakable.  Imagine moving here from NYC?!?
We asked Sam to set the table.

We made a goal this summer to hike (more like walk) in the Sandias (the mountain range 20 minutes from our home) all summer.  We have gone twice since our schedule's been so full, but it is so good for my soul.  We love it.

Pat and the kids like to Geocache along the way.
A friend gave us this nice backpack for carrying babies.  Glad we're using it!

Bad picture, but I wanted to not be left out.


We have chicks!
Charlie on the phone.


The face you will see below, is the face Charles makes at us most of all.  We've decided he looks most like Sam.

Swim team wrinkles.  I decided my life was too busy and I could not afford the $10 of gas a day to get to and from swim team/lessons.  Every day.  Practically the whole summer.  Nor could I afford how insane it was making me to get everybody up, dressed and fed, and in the car with a lunch packed by 7-ish to be at swim team by 8am.  I still have issues since my surgeries and the whole having to leave quickly in the morning thing doesn't work so well for me, or all the sitting.  So we dis-enrolled and got our money back.  Sad but happy.
And who needs a pool when you've got a horribly ugly back yard and a two foot wide pit of mud?
(Probably me. Yep.  Just sayin'.)

Speaking of mud and dirt and such.... I am being the worlds meanest mom and not letting my kids play video games or watch tv or have hardly any time at all in front of a screen.  So as you can see, they are finding things to do to entertain themselves, but this is resulting in other side effects, such as mysterious bags of dirt in my car, and incredibly muddy kids.

Lastly, for today's update, we've spent the last week at cub scout day camp.  Dallas as a Den Leader, and Sam and Evan as cub scouts and Leia got to do activities that were really cool in the tot lot while I taught classes the last day.

Since friends of mine were running the camp, I offered help.  I realized later that this was a mistake since I had so much going on already, but instead of teaching the whole week, I ended up only having to teach the last day.  I was in charge of engineering, so I had them build a marble course to see how long they could take to get a marble from the top of a board to the bottom.  I thought it went really well.  The boys loved it, and I had the hardest time getting them to stop when their time was up.  The winner had just over 7 seconds.  I like how creative they all were with their various tracks.








Then at home, with plenty of time, Sam and Evan got it up to 16 seconds.  (Notice, this is a happy mom taking a picture of two kids NOT in front of a screen.)
Now onto Evan's baptism next week, and Pat's week of camp, youth conferences, etc.  Reader, I am wound so tight right now from this non-relaxing summer, that I am about to snap.  My friend wrote this on Facebook, and it's how I feel all the time:

"Do you ever feel like as soon as you start yo get an A in life in one subject, you start to get C's, D's, and F's in other life subjects? If I am an awesome mom one day then I am slacking on cleaning, or exercise, or service, or political activism, or friendships, or family...ships, or me-ships, or church obligations, or something. Or vice versa. I have ready many articles about how you don't have to do it all and we should give ourselves a break etc etc. BUT, I can't help but want to do it all and get A's in all the subjects! I am not having a pity party. Just venting...or something. Carry on."

So my good vibe to end this post is, I'm trying to make sure that I put God first and read my scriptures and pray daily, and yell at my husband.  Oops, that last one might not be useful.  But I do it anyway.  I finished reading Despereaux to my boys and Sam and Evan especially loved it.  Sam would tell me when I was reading parts wrong and he's a good actor.  He'd say the lines way better than me.  Now we're reading the Westinghouse Game (or something like that), and I made dinner, and did a load of laundry tonight.  I can't cross any of the major things of my list of 20 major things I need to do, but...

No comments: