Saturday, August 2, 2014

We had a great youth conference where we took over a high school that was across the street from a Stake Center.  Lots of space, but for almost 1000 people, so it was needed!  I love the youth.  They are so neat.

Of course I invited the missionaries over to dinner on the same night, and forgot until they called, so it was crazy making dinner and leaving it for Pat to serve, while preparing for this big event!  We have this joke that no matter what, we always sign up for the missionaries on the worst possible day, no matter how much we try to plan well, something like this always happens.

I don't understand why this highschool looks so much like a college though.  I mean they have an entire building dedicated to Engineering and Technology, one for Scimatics (which I'm guessing is Science and Math), one for Fine Arts, Business and Entrepreneurship and Humanities. It looks just like CSUS when I went there! 
On Saturday the kids have to lay out their clothes for church including their shoes so we don't spend and hour finding (or not finding) everyone's clothes on Sunday. 
Sam added the sunglasses to top off his outfit.  He cracks me up.
And they put a tie on Charles after he was dressed.
Some great thrift store finds lately.  These books, along with several pairs of new shoes for me!  No desk still for Evan though.
We read this book recently and the kids loved it.  I liked reading it and doing the voices. 
Also loved these Crispin books we listened to while driving since we have long drives everywhere.

Just some of the books we love.  Some that are missing are Caddie Woodlawn, My Father's Dragon, Shiloh, Island of the Blue Dolphin, Bridge to Terabathia, etc.
I love this super easy hamburger bun recipe.  Start to finish: 30 min-1hr depending on how long you let it rise.
Hamburger Buns
2 Tbsp active dry yeast
1 c. plus 2 Tbsp warm water
1/3 c. vegetable oil
1/4 c. sugar
1 egg
1 tsp salt
3-3 1/2 c. flour

Dissolve yeast in water.  Add oil and sugar and let sit 5 min.  Add egg, salt, and enough flour to form a soft dough.  Knead until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes).

Shape into 12 balls on greased baking sheet.  Cover and let rest for 10 minutes while you preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Bake for 8-12 minutes or until golden.  Cool on wire racks.  If they last until you can prepare a hamburger on them, great!  If not, use them for snacks for friends who are visiting your kids!  Everyone likes getting their own little bun of bread.

Pat has become a master at sourdough lately.  I have never liked waffles until I had sourdough ones.  They don't taste sour, but their texture is like heaven.  How do you explain it?  We use King Arthur Flour's website for all our sourdough recipes and they are all great.  I have never tried a King Arthur Flour recipe for anything that has not been fantastic.  Sourdough or not.

I looked back and said, "Charles, you're sooo handsome!", and he held up his hands!

No comments: