Monday, December 15, 2014

Water Nation Birthday-updated

In Avatar- The Last Airbender- the order of the elements is Air, Water, Earth and Fire.  Last year Dallas had an Airbender party, so this year was a Waterbender party.  (As in, they can bend the element of water).


So we found a fun pool/water park that was indoor since it's freezing here!  Dallas invited Larry and Micah and we drove an hour to the park on the other side of Albuquerque in Rio Rancho.  They had a super fun time and the rest of my kids did too.  Pat said, regarding Dallas's party, "I would have never thought of a water park", because when it's this cold you just don't think water.  But since I had a theme for his birthday it made it super fun.  I love themes.  Once you have a theme, you can have tons of ideas!
Leia was terrified at first too.  It's really her first time in a pool, so Pat had to carry her around like this to get her happy.
So they dunked each other, played water basketball, did the diving boards, did the slides every which way, and just had a great time for about 3 hours.  This is one of three pools that were all side by side.

Charles was terrified of the noise and water so he just stayed on my shoulder, clinging to me like a koala.  I didn't even bring a swimsuit so that worked out perfectly.  After the water park we took the kids to pizza and then I drove my car of kids home, and Pat drove his car of the birthday kids for ice-cream and then home. 
Several days later we had our family party.  I made Dallas an ice-cream cake with the water tribe symbol. 
The inside of the cake.  He loves mint chocolate chip!  I forgot to get a good picture of the inside, and this was the last bit of the last piece of cake that I got just in time!  It was so good.  The blue is just vanilla ice-cream dyed blue.

 He already went to his first dance.  I can't believe it!  Twelve years old, and first youth dance all in the same week. Crazy!   He's not the best dancer, and whether he was awkward or not, I don't know, but he doesn't care and gets out there anyway and even asked girls to dance that were older than himself!  I don't know why I was worried about him.  We go to school dances and dance at home all the time.  We even have dance contests, and un-talent dance contests for fun.  Pat and I are great at those.

I went to Dallas's first Court of Honor for Scouts where he received his 2nd and 1st Class.  He has worked really hard with his dad on those things and we are very happy for him!

Dallas is a really special person.  He has deja vu a lot and dreams about the future.  It reminds me of his blessing where he was told the veil would be very thin for him.  We are so glad to have a child babysitting age.  He is really responsible, so this is going to open up a whole new world for us.  But don't worry!  We pay him!  (Less than a real babysitter, but still a great deal for all of us).

There's a lot bigger more important things than his birthday theme though.  Namely, the Dallas received the Aaronic Priesthood.  (Named after Aaron, Moses' brother).  It is the preparatory priesthood, to one day receive the Melchizedek Priesthood.  Priesthood power is the authority to act in the name of God on this earth in so far as we are doing his will.  It has been passed down from the fathers, Father Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.  Abraham received it from his father, but his father had fallen into idolatry and chosen to do wickedly.  Abraham departed from this and chose to seek after the wisdom of the fathers, beginning with Adam on down, and to follow the one true God in righteousness.   He chose to pay his tithing to Melchizedek for whom the higher priesthood was named, but this priesthood truly belongs to God and his son Jesus Christ.  Dallas's first duties in the priesthood are that he passed the Sacrament for the first time yesterday, helping all at church to review their lives and renew their covenants at baptism.  It is a special time for us all and a very important birthday.

1 comment:

Steph said...

Dallas really is a special kid. Plus, he has great taste in ice cream. Also, you forgot to invite me over for some ice cream cake.

Lastly, I still cannot believe that all happened. As your sister, I'm so grateful for your friends and your ward who take such good care of you guys.

Love you all!