Wednesday, February 11, 2015

A day at the museum



Charles in a dinosaur egg nest.

Who knew that such a beautiful place existed in New Mexico?  Valley of the Hoodoos, Bisti De Na Zin Wilderness.





Love this color blue.

I love home schooling.  Going where you want to go whenever you want to go.  Getting as much done but not being stressed and doing homework all evening during family time.  I am seriously wanting to return to it.  Love the school, but love home school more, ya know?  Sick and tired of spending an hour driving every day.  If we go next year, I'd have 4 kids there, and I probably wouldn't have a carpool because no one could drive all my kids so that'd be 2 hours of my day driving.  Bleh. 

I was walking down to have a run and saw Dallas in the trees and asked him what he was doing.  He had been shooting arrows, and lost one in the trees.  But that's not what he said.  To answer me, he started quoting a poem The Arrow and the Song, by Henry Wadworth Longfellow:


I shot an arrow into the air,
It fell to earth, I knew not where;
For, so swiftly it flew, the sight
Could not follow it in its flight. 
I busted up laughing.  I think this kid is so neat.  And it reminds me of all the great things the school teaches.   I always had them memorize poems at home too, but it's extra fun with lots of people.  
Every day when I pick him up he wishes I would come later, because he loves doing crazy death defying tricks on the swingset with his friends.   Sam does great at school, but still  wants to homeschool.
And for the last three weeks Dallas has told me of this ongoing debate in History about, "What is freedom?".  The stuff they discuss is remarkable, and they read the words of famous philosophers and people throughout history.  This is what school should be!  Teaching them to think (which is what the mission of this charter school is).  I'm going to be sad to leave the school and sad to stay in also.  It's rough being a grown up.

No comments: