Wednesday, February 11, 2015

One day, I said to myself, "I think I'll dye my hair one shade lighter".  So a medium brown instead of dark brown.  The resulting red was NOT pleasant to me.  Pat liked it.  I should say LIKES it, because no matter what I do, I cannot get rid of it.  I've died it three times since then.  I give up.  At least my friend put some streaks of dark brown in for me, and our water is so hard here that I'm pretty sure in a few weeks the red will all have faded away to a bearable level.  The stupid price we women pay for vanity :)  (Pat took this picture while I was on the phone asking my sister what to do to fix it!)

Our scout troop just so happened to schedule a visit to our local fire station and it was perfect for me to go since I wanted to say thank you to all the people there who helped me anyway.  Here is my actual ambulance and bed in case you wanted to know.

Charles.

Thanked them all and had a great visit!  They were so kind and showed us every bit of the firehouse.  The EMT who helped me in the ambulance is kneeling down.  I took him fresh rolls to share with a thank you card.

One thing I love about where I live are the big blue skies!  Pat works on an air force base and for some reason the huge military helicopters and planes fly directly over our house on their way to who knows where.  The noise is powerful when they fly over and I like it because we all love to watch them!  I should have used zoom on this photo below, but as I was driving home I saw 9 go over all in a group.  Four gigantic tank helicopters that have two blades, and 5 smaller black helicopters following (which is what I caught in this picture.)

One day we saw a bunch of small planes, painted brightly, flying around in a V formation back and forth over our house and the hills around us.  Wonder what that could have been.  

What a surprise to get the BYU alumni magazine and find my old running teacher featured!  While Pat was doing his Master's at BYU, I up and decided to take a community class on running and Hawk was a most excellent teacher.  The fact that I can run at all is attributed to him.  I still remember how he told me sugar is poison and they don't even let it in their house.  I asked him, being a member of the church and all, how the heck he deals with sugar at every activity and treats dropped off at the door, etc.  He said they say thank you and then trash it.  I liked this liberating talk!  I'm going to go eat a cookie.

A friend (was that you Christie?) posted this on Facebook and I thought it summed up my life perfectly.  I have all these lofty goals: to dress perfectly, to eat perfectly, etc... but most of the time I fail miserably and have to go with whatever is available.  I'm a super busy mom on a budget and I just do my best. 
I've been having back problems for over a month now.  Sciatic pain? But it moves up into my neck too.  I can't do the things I used to do, and putting on clothes or picking up Charles is no picnic.  I can't figure out what happened, because I usually don't have back trouble.  I've decided it's our really old bed.  I wake up in great pain, and then throughout the day it gets better and better; almost going away.  Until I go to bed and wake up the next morning in great pain again.  Super annoying.  Finally, after many nights sleeping on the couch, Pat decided it was time to get rid of our 12 year old bed and got me a new one from Costco.  I can't wait to set it up!  It's a foam one and felt really nice at the store.

We are trying so hard to get out of debt, but felt we had to do this so that I could MOVE.  Unfortunately, when it rains, it pours.  My dishwasher (that is only 3 years old) broke for good today, so for the next 2+ years until we get out of debt, we'll be hand washing.  About a month ago, we had our home inspected for radon, something we should have done when we moved in, and found out our levels are really high and so basically we're going to have to drill under our foundation to install fans (don't know the price tag on that yet) and we're all going to die of lung cancer someday.  Just looking on the bright side.


1 comment:

Christy said...

Sounds like a rough week, financially. I think I was the one to post that meme. LOL. I know what you mean, as a mother, there just isn't time. I spend most of my days in exercise clothes because it takes me all day before I can get a chance to exercise. When I was a younger mom I was so proud of how I always at least 'dressed up' in jeans and a nice shirt (no t-shirts for me) and now I live in exercise pants and t-shirts. Ugh. My goal is to get back to at least dressing normal. Someday.

I am sorry to hear about your dishwasher. I did 5 years of washing by hand. Not fun but you can totally do it. Invest in good gloves, although even the good ones only last a few weeks with kids. I just knew I had to buy gloves every few weeks. You can totally do this and the kids can too (although I often went back through what they washed and did a lot of them again, to make sure they were sterilized well. Think pioneer woman! :) Good luck.

PS The red hair is fun, but I understand the frustration of it not being what you wanted. I dyed my hair black in college once and it lasted a super long time. My hair is still not as light as it once was. Live and learn, right? :)