Sunday, March 22, 2015

Cookbook in the works

If I were famous and somebody wanted to buy my cookbook, well, they'd soon be in luck!  Soon meaning, hopefully by December 2015 yo.  I have a math final this week, an oral book report next week, girl's camp coming up... it never ends. 

These are the recipes that we have continued to make through the years.  Others have been tossed aside, either because they are too difficult to make or just not our favorites.  So I wanted to make a cookbook to reflect these favorite recipes.  My last cookbook was about 10 years ago, so I guess every 10 years we'll put out a new edition.  These are mostly for my sake, to have everything in one place that I use the most.  I wish I could share them with others, but it's too expensive.  I'd like to bind it well this time and have color photos.  People always ask me about my recipes and what I cook.  I wonder if I could sell them?  Hmmm.... 

Anyway- I can't wait to see the cookbook done with all these recipes. 

Three nights a week we have Vegetarian or Vegan meals for our health and for our budget.  Here's a great hearty soup!

Lentil Potato Soup
EVOO
2 Medium Onions, chopped
1 small hot pepper chopped, or cayenne powder
4 cloves Garlic
Handful Cilantro leaves
7 cups water
3/4 c. dried lentils
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp cumin
3/4 tsp ground ginger
2 medium potatoes, diced
2 tsp salt
4 Tbsp lemon juice

Sautee 2 onions and pepper in oil about 5 minutes. Then add garlic and cilantro leaves.  After a couple minutes add water and lentils, pepper, cumin, and ginger.  Cook for about 20 minutes.  Then add the diced potatoes, and salt and cook for another 30 minutes.  (Salt tends to keep the skins of the lentils tough which is why I wait to add it).   Finish with lemon juice.

Above, Lentil-Potato Soup and Corn pancake.  Below, sauteed spinach in a cashew cream sauce.  (Good, but won't make the cookbook.)

No comments: