Saturday, April 18, 2015

Emerald City Ball

I have really had a lot of challenging assignments with the work I do at church lately, but it has been a joy and I have been feeling so happy to be who I am doing what I'm doing.  I have really been enjoying visiting each ward for their conference and teaching and getting to know their girls.  Three more ward conferences to go!  We've also been visiting with the girls and their leaders to get ready for our week long camp which is coming up soon.  I think it's going to be wonderful!  And then, just yesterday, our Stake was in charge of a Ball for the 16-18 year olds from many Stakes.  The youth chose to do an Emerald City as the theme.  It turned out really neat thanks to so many who volunteered their time and talents to make the night special.  For many of the youth this is a substitute for the prom since that's not always a good environment, and also many of them go to alternative schools where there is no prom.  So the youth came decked out in beautiful prom gowns and tuxes and it was super exciting.

First they came and signed in.

Went through the tornado.

And then went on a journey following the yellow brick road that led them to the Emerald City.


DJ setting up.

We had a Dorothy, Scarecrow, Tin Man, Cowardly Lion, Wicked Witch, Munchkins, and Glenda the Good Witch.  Didn't get pictures of all of them.  I was a Munchkin.  We sang the "lollipop guild" song and "follow the yellow brick road" song as the youth passed by. 
Corn fields.
Dark forest.
Setting up the poppy fields.
Witch crushed under the house.



This is my president who I work with in all these adventures.  She is always fun!



Anyway, it all turned out great, and today my kids got to eat the "Lollipop Guild's" lollipops.  But just a couple licks.

1 comment:

Christy said...

What a fun stake presidency you are!! What a GREAT and creative idea! Those kids sure are lucky to have you guys around. So fun!