Sunday, June 21, 2015

GC 2015

Just got home from Girls Camp.  Our theme this year was the scripture below, so we decided to do a nautical theme.  Every ward was a different boat or ship.  There was everything from the Starship Enterprise, to the Black Pearl, to the Yellow Submarine.

We camped up at El Vado lake, all the way near Chama.  It was BEAUTIFUL!  I should have taken so many more pictures; wild horses, streams and rivers, lakes and ponds, trees and hills, mountains!  New Mexico people!





Crafts with Misty, and Tera

This picture was outside the porta-potties to remind us to not fall in.
Where we did flag ceremony every morning.
Some of the crafts and charms
I want this sign up big in my boys bathroom

Here's all of us stake leaders.  We were on the yellow submarine.  Inside the submarine are the camp directors and leaders of each level, or age group, of girls.  The rest of us helpers are all over the flag.  I'm in the top right corner.  Everyone had a chance to do cheers and skits.  For example, one morning we just yelled, "T-Bone, Sirloin, Rib-Eye, STAKE!"

I just realized why they call stakes stakes.  It's like a stake in the ground.  Here I plant my foot.  Or like saying, in this part of the world there is a stake of believers planted firmly.  I don't know why that never dawned on me before.


I got assigned to help with the food, and it was a hard week.  I keep having miscarriages (early ones), and had one at camp so it was rough.  It started on the second day, and I tried to keep it a secret because I didn't want to take anyone's focus off the girls but it gets out when you have to go to the potty every fifteen minutes and keep asking the nurse for more supplies.  And instead of helping as much as you should, you just have to sit down.  Those that did find out were so kind; so many hugs, prayers, caring and concern- I couldn't help but feel loved.   I thought about going home, but I love the experiences I have at camp and I didn't want to leave our cook with one less helper.

Often we're too busy to enjoy the friendships we have, but at camp there's lots of time made throughout the week.  You get a lot closer when you have to sleep in a tent together too.  And our priesthood men who were there to help and who you might only see at church, open up the scriptures and share their hearts before the breakfast prayer just because they feel like it.  It's so informal, and we're all hot and sweaty and helping each other deal with problems that arise, so all the walls are down and we can really communicate.  I got a lot closer to several sisters and we had a lot of good talks.  I feel the spirit, and the magnitude of the work we are engaged in and the strength we are teaching these girls to have.  I am thankful for the chance to grow closer to the Lord and stronger in faith, for the chance to serve these wonderful girls. I love watching them grow and change year after year.  President Dickerson gave a great talk.  He's so fun, because he's my age and just really one of the neatest people you'll ever meet.  My president and the camp leaders did excellent also, we had fun devotionals and lots of laughs.  Vickers and Twitch were great YCL leaders!



It was my fifth year doing the food and I was done two years ago.  The last two years I was in the Stake YW presidency so I wasn't THE cook therefore it wasn't so much work, but I still spend most of camp cooking and cleaning since I'm assigned to assist the cooks.  This means I don't get to do much with the girls besides watch them.  It can become difficult especially in this place with no kitchen or refrigeration.  It was coolers, a spigot, and camp stoves.  Our cook handled it wonderfully and did a great job, but you try cooking for 50-150 people for a week and you'll know why I don't enjoy this part of camp anymore! 


Though I shouldn't complain, because the other leaders had to help the girls do service projects of clearing trails in the hot hot sun, and they all did 3-4 hour hikes in the heat.  But the fourth years did a 33 mile hike over three days!  That's 11 miles a day, and it wasn't supposed to happen that way (it's usually 15 miles total), but it did.  It was a real difficult thing for those fourth years and when they finally limped into camp I cried.  I always cry.  I just realize that those girls conquered and learned that they could do HARD things.  Not everyone gets along with everyone, and that alone is difficult, but by the end of that hike, they aren't frontin' anymore.  They're praying for water and struggling together and they become closer than they ever would have otherwise.  It is a huge accomplishment and they have so much more confidence in themselves and love for each other after finishing that hike that they know they can do anything.  They have developed this faith.  This particular group of girls I felt something really special about them.  Like their hike "accidentally" was so long for a reason.  They have some pretty tough things they're going to need to do in their lives is the feeling I got.  And they will succeed.

Because we had a gorgeous lake, the girls got to swim, kayak, and canoe.  Can you believe this is New Mexico?
Sporting her beads/charms earned by certifying in many different things and passing off several things.
I love these bracelets the girls made- all with the nautical theme- O ye that embark...
Anyway, GC was pretty swell.  Always is.  Loved it!  The girls learned this song by Jenny Phillips:

For the last time
the Savior is gathering
those who will listen to his words
This is our time to shine
to let our voice be heard

We are faithful
we have been forordained
to take part in this great work
we hear the call to serve
and we respond willingly

We raise our sails
and we embark!
In His service
with all our heart
with all our might, mind and strength
we'll go forth in his name
holding firmly to the rod
we are engaged in the service of
our God

We will be faithful
not caught up in the fallen world
so we can hear the spirit speak
-----
-----

We raise our sails
and we embark!
In His service
with all our heart
with all our might, mind and strength
we'll go forth in his name
holding firmly to the rod
we are engaged in the service of
our God

In His service
Service of our God!

No comments: