Monday, December 28, 2015

*Updated*

We had a very merry Christmas and hope you did too.  Can I just say, it is really difficult to shop for five kids AND keep it all hidden until Christmas!  But it's fun and we had a wonderful Christmas.  It is such a blessing to have little ones about you and hear their excitement!  We are so thankful for family.  We always let our kids get up whenever and look in their stockings without us.  So we woke up to the wonderful gasps of excitement and giddy laughter.  It's so fun to hear their joyful whispers as they tried to contain their excitement and not wake us.  Charlie was the cutest guy of all.
 
All the older boys did chores to earn money to buy gifts for their siblings and their parents too.  They did a fantastic job and were very thoughtful.  For example, Dallas knows Pat loves Count Chocula cereal so he waited until it went on sale after Halloween and bought him three boxes for Christmas.  Sam and Evan got things that were perfect for their siblings too.  I was impressed!
Here's Charles being silly and enjoying his tent and dinosaur puzzle.


...and his rescue set.
Sam and Evan constructing Star Wars Lego sets Evan got.  These guys both got new jackets too.
Dallas constructing his new tent for campouts.
Daisy and her princesses.
Mexican Train Dominoes!
Daisy got some boots that I'm totally in love with.
Sam's electricity set.
Charlie opening up his puzzle and wearing the coat he just got.  I love opening up gifts one at a time.  Everyone is so interested in everything!

Sam and Dallas congratulating Evan on getting a frisbee.

D's binoculars. He also got a video game and a BB gun that feels like a real handgun.  He's the only one we can trust to give something like that too.
Matching game.
Cat puzzle.  She got some earring stickers and cute inexpensive jewelry too.  It's so fun having a girl!
 This was one of our favorite gifts we got from Tractor Supply.  It's a fake gun, but made out of metal and it is supposed to be a replica of an old gun.  It even came with a belt and holster.  It's really fun.  Sam and Evan got Dallas a nerf gun so now they all three have one again and they have been having wars throughout the house.  Sometimes they shoot their dad and then he gets in the war too.

 Sam got this really difficult 1000 piece puzzle with old license plates.  We found all these fun puzzles at Hobby Lobby.  We got a vintage lunchbox one for Pat's parents and a vintage candy bar one for my mom.

I made tamales with friends Tera and Erin this year, so that and posole were our Christmas food all week.  I think we'll make this a tradition!  Yummmmmm.  The posole came about because I had leftover carne adovada from making the tamales, so I added it to a good broth, put in a can of Hatch enchilada sauce, a large can of hominy, and let it simmer, and we loved it.



Rolls for our big dinner.  We've all moved away from the rolls I used to make with lots of butter, sugar, and eggs, and everyone only wants me to make my french bread recipe into rolls.  I am happy to oblige since it takes only 2 hours to make as opposed to five.  'Tis a gift to be simple.

Now the opposite of simple.  Here's where I tell you the story of how Bobby Flay ruined my Christmas Eve.  Not really, but I saw him do this pumpkin bread pudding throwdown with Pioneer Woman and his dessert looked so good, so I've waited about two years to find the perfect time to make it since it takes quite a bit of work.  Christmas Eve was the day and I set out to make it with high expectations.  Shown below is the pumpkin bread, cubed, toasted, and sitting in the custard about to bake.  That was just the first two parts. 

After this I had to make three more parts: a pudding to go underneath, a caramel sauce to go over top, and a whip cream topping.  I burned the first caramel sauce but kept going.  Six cups of cream and 11 egg yolks later, we had the finished product.  And you know what?  No one liked it.  It was way too rich, and way too sweet.  I should have just stopped after the pumpkin bread and eaten that.  Lesson learned.  Big intricate recipes are rarely better.  Oh well. *smile*

1 comment:

Christy said...

It looks like you had a great Christmas.I think I need your french bread recipe that you turn into rolls. IT sounds delicious and so much shorter time. I love that!

Your Bobby Flay story was hilarious. I have noticed the same thing, bigger is not necessarily better! Bummer. But pumpkin bread sounds delicious. :)