Sunday, February 7, 2016

Now We Are Six by A.A. Milne

We've been learning a lot of poems for homeschool and this one fit perfect for Daisy's sixth birthday!  Charles cracks us up at the end copying her.  She's pretty proud that she learned this.

When I was one
I had just begun.
When I was two,
I was nearly new.
When I was three,
I was hardly me.
When I was four,
I was not much more.
When I was five,
I was just alive.
But now I am six,
I'm as clever as clever.
So I think I'll be six
now and forever.

I was really excited for her birthday this year.  I don't like her growing older, but I love her girl presents.  We've been reading the Little House books and she wanted a nightgown like Laura's so that's what she's wearing thanks to Grandma Brenda, and she also got a Abigail Adams dress with a matching one for her new doll named Anne.  She also got some paper dolls and a sewing project.  The dresses we bought her and her doll come from a company called Little Adventures (there's a link on the right side).

She saw this cake at a grocery store and loved it.  It's for Valentines Day probably, but it was only $20 and saved me from having to make one, especially since I've been eating really clean lately.  


 Birthday hair on Sunday
Heading out to church on birthday Sunday!  Some people were thinking about the Super Bowl today, but not us. We were just excited about the birthday.  Leia got so excited she woke up and got dressed at 3am!  When she came to wake us up, we sent her back to bed, poor girl.
 Beginners sewing kit and historic paper dolls.
 Opening her doll.  She is just like Laura Ingalls' doll Charlotte.
 Matching dresses!

Her doll has her name printed on her apron.  I think she's adorable and so much more fun than those plasticy-haired ones.  It was a great birthday.  Can you tell I'm living vicariously?
---------------------
 My birthday was a couple weeks ago and I went out with friends and had a lot of fun the night before.  Then the day of my birthday, I woke up with either the flu or food poisoning and spent the whole day in bed when I wasn't in the bathroom. 

So Pat and I finally went out yesterday to my favorite restaurant.  It happens to be Vietnamese food and it happened to be the Vietnamese new year so they had this whole roast pig on the table and gave us lots of free food and some lottery tickets.  The next time you see me, I could be rich.

 Mostly what we did in town though was purchase new bunk beds for the boys and Charles and Leia are sleeping together in our old bed.  We hope this will help them to not come into our room at night.
 Sam has really had some issues lately.  There's no end in sight, but we love him and we are doing our best.  We are thankful to his primary teacher who, though she probably wants to knock his teeth out, instead had him over for the day and helped him to make a pillowcase for himself and each one of his siblings.  He was really proud to have this gift to give everyone.
 Dentist appointments up the wazoo lately.  This girl has a bad tooth that is stuck in her jaw and only barely broke through.  It is nearly impossible to brush, but is a food trap.  Every night we have to lay her upside down and try to clean it out.  Dentist said when she gets braces (because she has a cross-bite) an oral surgeon will need to take out that tooth first.  If it lasts that long.  If we can't keep it clean, and it gets a cavity she'll have to have surgery to remove it sooner.
 We continue going to museums on our free library pass almost weekly.  The program ends in March, and we've definitely taken advantage of it.  There are some blessings to homeschooling.  Lots!
 So cold lately, as evidenced by this gigantic icicle.
 I love playing with Leia's dolls and changing their outfits.

 You'd never know this handsome guy scowls at most everybody.
 This lovely girl gets herself dressed and does her hair first thing every morning.
By the way, Pat and I also had our 15th wedding anniversary in January.  We used that free library pass to go to four museums in Santa Fe, had a nice lunch and dinner, and just a really great time.  Here's Pat by a Russian quilt since his brother's on a mission in Russia.
Flamenco dancing at one of the museums. 

I was able to take Dallas to Standard's Night a couple Sundays ago, a yearly event for the youth of the Stake to get them going with the new theme of the year and such.  It was a musical night, and Dallas participated and it was so inspiring.  There were so many instruments and it was so powerful with the singing, and coordination, and practiced preparation.  In the end I was in tears and found my old presidency and we just cried and hugged.  I love those ladies so much.  I felt bad to not have been helping them this time since I was released, but they testified of the many miracles that have been getting them through things that would be impossible without God.  After it was over, Dallas just thanked me sincerely for "letting" him participate.  He is gold.  He is so cheerful and helpful that I sometimes wonder... 

1 comment:

Christy said...

Looks like you guys have been busy. So fun! I love the flamingo dress. :) Happy Anniversary and Birthday! I love the 6 year old poem! Thanks for sharing your pictures.