Tuesday, March 15, 2016

I finished up another college class, psychology, with an A!  And I just scored 138 on my first ever IQ test.  As a point of reference, Ph.D and M.D.s are in the 125 range, so yeah, I'd listen to me.  Just kidding.

I just thought I'd mention that I have a wonderful husband.  We've been through so much together and I never know how to say how I feel about him adequately.  It's just overwhelming, my gratitude for all he does.  I love him so much, and I'm so glad to have him beside me.  I just finished reading The Good Earth, and towards the beginning, it brought tears to my eyes to read about the poor Chinese farmer and his new wife working together to make the most out of all they had.  It was the description of a good marriage to me.  It wasn't even meant to be an emotional or notable part in the book, but as I read of them working the land next to each other, up and down the rows of wheat, back and forth, each day, I just became emotional.  Marriage isn't always super exciting, and some people might say you're not really living life to it's fullest if it's not, but there is something sweet and full about steadily working day by day together, whether it's doing dishes, laundry, or teaching children.  We are building something lasting, that even I don't fully comprehend, but I know it's real, and I know it's worth it.  As time goes on, we serve each other more willingly, trying to make life easier on the other, and though we will always have much to improve on, I am full of humble gratitude for all the Lord has blessed me with.

A sad day in our republic when we lose a wonderful judge on the Supreme Court.  Here's one of my favorite quotes from him:

"The governmentalization of charity affects not only the donor, but also the recipient. What was once asked for as a favor is now demanded as an entitlement. The belief that the world owes me a living has an effect on the character of the recipient. Christ's special love for the poor was attributable to qualities that they possessed in abundance. Meekness and humility. It is humbling to be an object of charity. Entitlement has produced donors without love and recipients without gratitude." - - Antonin Scalia

A sad day all around when either the people or the powers that be, are upholding candidates for president without morals, and without a love for the country, the constitution, and the freedom of the people.  I really fear for my kids, but then I remember faith, and I hold to the faith I have in these spirits God has sent me, and in the plan that was prepared before the earth for our learning and benefit.  It is our loving Father's plan and he knows all his children.  Come what may, it will all work out in the end.

I had two extra visitors for history one morning!



Visited a park in Albuquerque just as a storm was rolling in.  It had this really high wall and was right up against the Sandia mountains and foothills.

 Good memories reading Old Hat New Hat with each one of my kids!

Below was when we were studying the many different influences on the English language.  Angle, Saxon, Celtic, Scandinavian from the Vikings, Latin from the Romans, French from the Normans, etc.  I love this stuff!  On the left is an excerpt from Beowulf in AngloSaxon, and on the right is the Celtic, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."
We also talked about the codes of chivalry for the knights, and equally, the things that were most important to the Samurai; the "knights" of Japan.  I thought it interesting that for them, balance included not only fighting, but gardening, writing, and painting, poetry, and dance.  We talked about the four pillars of life, and what were the four things most important to us in life.  I got some really interesting answers!


Viking ships.  My kids are REALLY into the Dragons Race to the Edge and Dreamworks Dragons, based off the How to Train Your Dragon books.  So they were plenty happy to make Viking ships for history!
A little note about cute Leia.  She always mixes up words and one day came crying saying that someone had "Chimped her".  "Charlie is always chimping me and it hurts!"  Well, she means pinching, but no matter how many times we establish that, it remains chimping.  It's so cute!

2 comments:

Christy said...

I love your comments about your husband. I think it is so true. We want to glamorize when they do something spectacular for us but really it is the day to day, working together, strengthening each other, and loving each other that should be celebrated!

Thank you for your words about our country too. I am struggling with our candidate choices right now and what it will mean for our country but you worded it. God has a plan. I am just going to work to make sure my children love God and love our country and leave the rest to his hands.

Your kids are adorable and the stuff you are doing in school looks like so much fun. It almost makes me want to homeschool...almost. :)

Karisa said...

Thanks Christy!