Wednesday, June 1, 2016

On Saturday, we hiked what should have been 10 miles round trip to see D's Eagle project site.  We knew it would be hard, but figured we'd hike the 5 miles to the cabin he's restoring, have a nice picnic and rest, and then hike the 5 miles out.  We started early, and figured we'd get home around 3pm-ish.  Unfortunately, it seemed much longer than that, and we didn't get home till almost dark.  People online have it anywhere from 10-14 miles, and I wholeheartedly agree with the 14 milesIt was a lot of uphill and downhill.

And yes, we all went.  Our feet were so sore!!!  Not to mention that at times Pat was carrying Leia and Charles.  But man, we are all way stronger than I thought.  I was so impressed with my kids on this hike!  Sam watching over me as I went up steep hills, Dallas carrying a heavy pack the entire time.  Evan and Sam sharing a heavy pack despite Evan having a scratched up back (that's another story), Evan starting to cry, and then changing his attitude on his own, and marching through the remaining miles.  Not to mention Leia and Charles!  Leia walked most of it, and Charles more than half.  I was completely amazed.  I felt like we were true pioneers without a handcart of course :)

Here we are starting off.  It was 32 degrees!  It is about 10,000 feet in altitude.

Here's where we stopped to filter water from the creek to refill our water bottles.
It was ice-water!  We thought we'd rest with our feet in, but we couldn't stand it for more than a few seconds.

Only 6 more miles Charlie!  He even fell asleep in Pat's pack with his head on Pat's back.
The kid we have to thank for this trip.

This picture was not taken sideways.  It was a steep hill.
Everyone got really good at going to the bathroom in the wilderness.  Charles had to poop twice, and we'd forgot tp and wipes so we had to use leaves.

 Here's the cabin (or tack shed?) D's restoring.  I am discouraging this project, but no one will listen to me. 

We had an almost 2 hour drive home and right before we got home we stopped for dinner at Blakes Lotaburger.  Pat and I were barely able to walk after sitting still for 2 hours, and you should have seen how tattered, dirt encrusted, and pathetic we looked, eating like starved animals.  We got a few concerned looks.  Charles couldn't even wake up to eat, poor guy.  We woke him up and bathed him (and everyone) as soon as we got home and then he got to sleep in and eat plenty the next day.

I thought we wouldn't be able to walk and therefore have to miss church the next day, but thankfully, we were fine.

1 comment:

Christy said...

That looks like quite a project. It sure is a cute little house. That hike sounds CRAZY. I am so impressed that your whole family was able to do it. Wow! What an adventure.