Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Funny quotes lately:

Leia watching a movie: "I don't want to watch this part.  It creeps me up."



Evan after swimming in the individual medley and being asked by Pat why he did that:
 "I didn't know what was coming.  I just got in line."
(The IM is where you have to do all the strokes yourself (butterfly, back, breast, free) rather than just doing one and then tagging your next teammate as in a relay.)

Beautiful rainbow Albuquerque
All the boys did their best at their first ever swim meet, so we were happy!  Sam was really nervous, so all the older girls decided to cheer for him while he raced.  I thought that was so nice, but it may have embarrassed him more.

Lately we've been fixing up the house to refinance again since interest rates are so low, and we got it appraised and it's actually worth what we bought it for again!  For years it's been tens of thousands under water.  We got a 15 year fixed.

D's funny Wanted poster for the centipede that tried to move in.
Pat and I ran the cub scout bike rodeo in June.  There was a slowest race (which is all about balance), a weaving through cones skill ride, a dropping pebbles into pitchers skill ride, and we blocked off most of the church parking lot to make a huge track they could just enjoy.  It was fun!


I went to visit my mom in California.  I took Dallas, and though I always enjoy being with Dallas, he was funnier than even I expected.  We had a great time.  He was really good playing with his little cousins, and finally got to show Grandma what a talented pianist he is.  We camped out on her couches and I cooked lots of healthy food with no salt, oil, sugar, meat, or dairy for everyone, and tried to help Steph get ready for June's first birthday party.  We also tried to organize some of the cupboards in the kitchen.  There's no end to the work that needs to be done there.  It's frustrating not being near.  My mom is in stage 4 heart failure, and is suffering with a host of other problems.  She fell down twice while I was there and it was really scary.  I'm glad Steph and T have moved in with her and are caring for her with the help of Va'a and another really nice lady (a relative of Steph's).  My mom has great neighbors and people around her who care for her.  I wish I could just make all her meals and be able to help more... 

When I came home from California, Pat had Charles sleeping without diapers.  Way to go Pat!!!

If I ever get my way and have a family band, I know that Charles will be the singer.  He LOVES to sing.  He's mesmerized by the music leader on Sundays, he dances and sings his heart out at home, and he's always asking me the words to songs.  Recently it was the Farmer in the Dell, or as he puts it, "Da Parmer in da Dell".  He was asking me, "What does the Farmer take?", and then, "What does the wife take?", all through the song.  He is so cute.


 We've been at the pool for swim team, water polo, and lessons everyday for hours.  It's something that I enjoy in the summer and the kids are doing well.  Except Charles who LOVES to swim, but gets so scared of his teachers that he cries through all his lessons.  He'll do better next time.  Sometimes, just waiting until next summer makes a huge difference.  We tried everything with him, and he just isn't ready.  The cute thing is that the grandmas and grandpas have their exercise class in the same pool at the same time, and as I would be sitting next to Charles while he cried at the edge of the pool, I would sometimes look up and see all these compassionate, worried grandparents watching him.  After their class they would stop by and talk nicely to Charles, giving him encouragement and love.  He wouldn't talk to them, but he told me later that they were nice.  He's so funny.  He even tells me his teachers are nice, but he just gets nervous.  It didn't help that they did the lessons in the big pool instead of the one he can stand up in.  It's scary and he gets so sad.  One of the grandpas came up to me and said, "If you posted a video of his face during swim lessons you'd get a million hits with that face."

For some reason, I keep having annoying health problems of my own.  I spent 4th of July in the ER for severe stomach pain, but they couldn't find anything wrong, and said I probably just got bad food poisoning.  I was sick for two days before I went in.  I've had a dumb boil for over a month now that makes it impossible to do a lot of things, and despite all this we are trying to enjoy our summer.  There's only so much I CAN'T do.  What I mean by that is, when you have kids, it's hard to quit everything and stay home.  I'm trying to find a dermatologist.  They all have a three month or more waiting list.  The one I called today said to call in August to schedule for December!!!

1 comment:

Christy said...

Yay for the refinance and your house being above water again. Woo Hoo!

I am so sorry to hear about your mom. I had no idea. That must be so hard to be so far away. If you ever need me to go and see her, just let me know and I will be there. <3

I love seeing all you do during the summer. I think you are doing a great job, even if you can't do as much as you want. Some summers you go a lot of places and some you just do a lot at home and both are okay and both are wonderful!! Your kids will remember the fun things you did at home.

I am sending lots of hugs and prayers your way, for you and your mom, and your whole family. :)