Sunday, October 2, 2016

what everyone else has been up to

Found some great things at our local thrift stores lately.  Including this bike for Charles in perfect condition!  $10, I'll take it!
Here's some more of our loot.  Skirts and several ties and perfectly new shoes for me with the tags still on them.  All of this for $10 also!  At another thrift store we got the game Pictionary, Halloween costumes, glass cereal bowls, a dress for Leia, books of all kinds, and some shirts for me!  I love getting things we need so cheap!
Packed the kids a salad for lunch one day.  It was an Asian salad with green and red cabbage, lettuce, bell peppers, carrots, cucumbers, brown rice, etc.  It had a tangy sweet dressing of Apple Cider Vinegar, Tamari, and Maple Syrup.  Dal and Sam loved it.  Evan and Leia didn't.  I guess I just need to make it more so their tastes will change!  Ha ha.  Who knows if that will happen, but that's why they didn't like it.  Because it didn't have Ranch!
This is tofu cooked in much the same sauce that could be added to that salad, but I cook this up and then make wraps with it for me for lunch all week.  I love it in a tortilla or on a sandwich with either cabbage or lettuce, cilantro, a bit of mayo, and anything else I have like carrot or cucumber.
Evan's boat took 3rd place at the Rainwater Regatta!  He made his boat entirely on his own and decorated it so nicely!
Evan's math teacher at school, Mrs. Hutchinson, made a point to come up to me after school and said that Evan is really good at math, like his brothers, and that he has a great attitude, great smile, and is a joy to teach.  She's had all my boys, and currently she's the 6th grade teacher, but Evan goes to her class since he's a grade ahead in Math.  He's doing really well in school.


Our sunflowers are bursting and blooming beautifully, just like they do every year at this time!
Charles and I sitting in the car during Evan's soccer practice.  I taught him how to take pictures of himself, ha ha.  He did okay, but couldn't keep his hand out of the way.



He is turning into a real goofball.  He's turned crazy and is talking to everyone about everything and even making jokes.  It quite surprised Pat when he returned from Utah.  Charles really likes to pretend like he's a transformer and makes perfect sounds as he transforms into different things.  He also loves to pretend like he's and egg, which we have to crack open by knocking really hard.  We never know which animal baby will come out until we crack the egg open.  Sometimes it's a tiger and we get eaten.  (Yes I know tigers don't come from eggs, but don't want to spoil his fun).  He's always singing like crazy!

Leia is playing soccer for the first year ever, and she sure tries hard and says the funniest things.  I'll ask her after a game, "Did you have fun?", and she'll say, "YES!  The number one rule in soccer is to have fun!"  She's always lecturing like that, to show what she knows. 

Dallas sewing on patches to his merit badge sash.  Heck no I won't do it!  His old Deacon's Quorum leader used to joke that Dallas was giving him carpal tunnel having to sign off of so many awards, but actually sewing them on is way harder!  He made funny posters for all his teachers at school and Mrs. Williams and Mr. Beach hung them up!  I'll have to go see what they look like sometime.

Sam got to go to a birthday party recently (for a girl), and had a lot of fun.  Everyday he plays 500 during recess with a bunch of people (he says it's kind of like football).  He's doing a great job with his new duties as a deacon and got to go to the temple for the first time to do baptisms.  This is him on a Saturday morning trying to figure out how to solve a Rubix Cube.  He can solve it easily now.  I'm like, "What the heck!?  Those things are solvable?!"

This is a picture of Leia's nightly homework.  The school is rigorous and she has to make up a lot for not going to Kindergarten.  She's pretty much caught up now after the first month.  But it's been math flashcards, a math page, three pages of writing, and reading every night for more than a month!

She just said this poem with her class in front of the school, in case you wanted to see it.  I had to watch this three times; once to see Leia, once to see Charles, and once to see Dallas hit Sam with a football in the background.  We were busting up when we noticed all that was going on!
If wishes were horses
Beggars would ride:
If turnips were watches
I would wear one by my side.
And if if’s and an’s were pots and pans,

There would be no work for tinkers!

I learned at parent teacher conferences that Leia had a lot of tears in the beginning of school.  It broke my heart.  She would cry and get really upset when she didn't know how to do things, or when they would time her math facts and phonics facts.  The teacher says she keeps the timer behind her back now because it upsets Leia and she can't think because she's too busy watching it.  But her teacher also says she's been fine for the last few weeks and works harder than anyone at trying to do everything the best she can.  I love my little girl so much.  It reminds me so much of when she started dance, or when she was in speech therapy and it was supposed to take 3-4 years, but she self corrected and finished in only a year.  She still has a hard time learning new things at first, but she works so hard until she gets it.  She is such an interesting person, and I've really been missing her!

Meanwhile, it's just me and Charlie at home and we play a lot of Go Fish, and Matching.  We got a perfect deck of animal/letter cards at the thrift store and it was just what we needed!  He's learning his animals, letters and their sounds (though he can be quite stubborn). 
I was just called to help with Trek again, and it looks like it will be really fun and no small amount of work.  I'm in charge of communication and kind of keeping it all organized.  I'm so tired of secretary type jobs, but oh well.  At least I get to work with a lot of my favorite people!

Whenever Pat's out of town, all the electronics break.  I've decided it's because they know the one who loves them is gone.  Trying to survive without Pat, and going through a lot, meant that I ended up buying a lot of fast food and ice-cream.  We also went to the dollar store and bought three boxes of chocolate cupcakes to decide which brand we liked best.  You know, for science.  (I was in full survival mode emotionally.)  I decided Little Debbie's are better than Hostess, and Tastycakes have a weird smell.  You're welcome.

Then he gets home and teases me about how on his work trip everyone was glad to see him, they invited him to special parties in lounges with food and drinks, thanked him for being there, etc., and then he gets home and can't find a thing to eat and I tell him to make a sandwich on the heel of bread we have left.  Life is rough.  He's also worried about the Giants making it into the playoffs!

No comments: