Sunday, March 5, 2017

I ran into D's piano teacher at our school, and she said she's glad he's being asked to play in church.  I remembered that he has started playing in the men's meeting (priesthood) before all the men separate into their own classes.  She's not a member of our church, so I'm really grateful that she's willing to help Dallas learn the hymns.

I'm really enjoying being in the primary presidency.  I enjoy being with kids and teaching.  I love both the tiny, cute, shy kids, and the bigger, funny, tired-of-primary kids.  I'm so glad I get to see Evan, Leia, and Charlie in there.  At the beginning of January, Charlie wouldn't do a thing but hide next to me.  Now he sits with his class, does the actions to the songs, goes up when they call on him, and I get to see it all!  (We smile a lot at each other too.)

I had fun teaching a lesson about Noah's ark, and passed out pairs of animals to the kids, which they then used to find their match and come up into the ark.  Last Sunday I got to teach about Abraham, choosing God, and had several people come in and share about good choices their ancestors made that have affected them.  I loved hearing those stories and really tried to pick the people who shared by inspiration.  They all did a wonderful job.

Most of all, I love the songs the children sing.  We have a fantastic music leader who is both fun and tender with the kids.  They are learning Gethsemane right now to sing for Easter, and the words bring tears to my eyes every time. Jenny Phillips is the author and composer, and her work is always powerfully inspired. I know I'm not the only adult in primary crying when I hear the children sing these words:

Jesus climbed the hill
To the garden still
His steps were heavy and slow
Love and a prayer
Took Him there
To the place only He could go

Gethsemane
Jesus loves me
So He went willingly
To Gethsemane

He felt all that was sad, wicked or bad
All the pain we would ever know
While His friends were asleep
He fought to keep
His promise made long ago

Gethsemane
Jesus loves me
So He went willingly
To Gethsemane

The hardest thing that ever was done
The greatest pain that ever was known
The biggest battle that ever was won
This was done by Jesus
The fight was won by Jesus


Gethsemane
Jesus loves me
So He gave His gift to me
In Gethsemane

Gethsemane
Jesus loves me
So He gives His gift to me
From Gethsemane


Here's a beautiful video that can make you feel what I get to experience seeing the little girls and boys sing this song.  https://youtu.be/ZWIx24J00Wc

I tell my own kids who love super heroes that God is the most powerful, and Jesus the greatest hero we will ever know.  I truly believe the hardest thing that ever was done, the greatest pain that ever was known, the biggest battle that ever was won, THIS WAS DONE BY JESUS!  The fight was won by Jesus!  He saved us all.  He felt all that we experience and He understands what we're going through.  It is sweet to think, that along with the bad and sad that he had to experience in Gethsemane, that I know he probably saw all the children singing songs like this to Him too; that He got to see all of us who love Him. It must have helped. 


Our dearest girl started violin lessons (again)!!!  We hope it will work out better this time, though the timing was not my choice. What can I do?




No comments: