Sunday, July 16, 2017

Education

Last week I listened to a BYU devotional by Eva Witesman about education; particularly regarding women.  The overview of her thoughts were that education is a commandment as the prophets have said and that means a spiritual not just temporal commandment.  The glory of God is intelligence.  Knowledge has spiritual value even if we never work.  Russel M. Nelson said- Education is a religious responsibility... don't cut short your education and abbreviate our eternal potential. Our learning is of value no matter what.  Come to it with a spirit of worship.  Henry B. Eyring said- don't discover too late that you missed an opportunity to prepare for a future only God could see for you.

Women can receive inspiration from God about their unique path in life, though it may not even make sense at the time, and those around them should not clip their wings.  She told of her plans to finish school and raise her children but then feeling prompted to keep going to earn a masters and then doctoral degree- though at the time she had great difficulty bearing children during that time and even adopting.  She mentioned a friend with the opposite experience: she had decided to get a doctoral degree but was prompted to stay home before she'd even received her graduate degree "all hands on deck" was the phase she used to describe her promptings.  She even homeschooled her kids at times to address their unique needs and struggles. God knows us and our children better than we know ourselves and he will inspire us to make the best choices for our unique circumstances.  His plan is the greatest of all.

Eliza R. Snow said, "Let them seek for wisdom instead of power and then they will have all the power they have wisdom to exercise."

When God prepares leaders he expands their view.  Think of how much he taught young Joseph Smith with ideas never heard of!  Think of how he showed Moses a vision of the earth, every particle on it, each person thereon, and many lands all called earth.  Think of how he showed the Brother of Jared each person who ever lived from the beginning to the end.  Think of how when Christ came to the Nephites he taught them all things and they saw unspeakable things which they were forbidden to write.

As women are educated (and I would say not just formal schooling) they are better able to contribute in every facet of life whether that be the home, councils at church, or the community.  A spirit-led education will not end in only our own benefit (riches and the ability to look down your nose at others).  God's work and glory is to help his children so he will lead you along a path that will help you to benefit others with your knowledge, which will truly make us happy.

I have been trying to order my life and cut out unnecessary things.  I only have one class this fall and I keep considering dropping it- but I'll try...  it's just that we will most likely be fostering soon (I try not to think about that too much because it could be wonderful or horrifying or both and there's no sense worrying about what you can't see yet).  And I will mostly likely be homeschooling all or most of my kids.  Yep, it's a homeschool year.  Lots to do there...

I think about my goals (below) and how many hours there are in a day (about 16) and try to make it all fit but in a way that I feel relaxed so that I can have fun.  At times I've accomplished all my goals but I'm so driven that I'm no fun to be around.  The stress!  I don't want that.  The things I consider essential are:

1. Taking time with God and Jesus Christ, and to show that I always remember them through personal prayer and scripture study and time at the temple weekly.  I want to become a scriptorian if that's a word.
2. Taking time for Me for exercise (either with friends or at home), and taking the time to make my food and eat well so that I can feel good and be happy.  Taking time to practice my guitar.
3.  Taking time with my Husband.  We like to walk every day we can, and stretch together.  We also read 5 verses of scripture together every night.  Quick, easy.
4. Taking time for Family.  This encompasses so much.  The bulk of each day.  Meal prep, reading books, training children, sports, hiking, music, chores, family scriptures, prayer, fun, school, going to church and church activities, goals, driving everywhere, dancing and games, remembering extended family...
5. Taking time for Service.  I am horrible at this.  I have plans to visit others and rarely do because the first four items take all of me!  But I am thinking of the song, "Have I done any good in the world today?  Have I helped anyone in need?"  It's easy when those opportunities present themselves and you can serve someone easily.  Or for example, I always serve in my callings... but trying to go out of my way to go to someone's house and love them... much harder.  I have friends who are great at this at least to be my examples.
6. Education- either reading books at night (instead of watching t.v.) or taking classes, or learning trades, etc... to always be learning.  But to not take more than 1-2 hours a day.
 

Well that's enough of that.  I was so thankful to my big boys yesterday.  Dallas decided to clean out the garage and got his brothers involved and they really went at it.  Then we drove a huge load down to the dump and it felt so good!  And since there was more space in the garage parts of my house got cleaned out too!  We just have some shelves to get rid of and some old mattresses now.  Maybe the entertainment center in my room too.  Don't have time for t.v. and need more space anyway.  I love purging.  I am so thankful to our boys for doing that without even being asked.  They are hard workers.  Evan was dripping sweat!

No comments: