Sunday, July 9, 2017

*Updated*

I got to teach a lesson in primary today about kindness.  The prophet chose to speak about that at the last General Conference with his limited strength.  Kindness and charity (the pure love of Christ).


I have been going to the temple Saturday mornings and have really felt taught each time I go.  I can see why its been called the Lord's university. Words that I've heard many times before suddenly have more than the surface meaning to them.  I am thankful that the Lord finds me in a teachable enough state to impress new things on my mind.  The more I go, the more I look forward to going.  Just like the more I read my scriptures, the more I look forward to reading them.  I guess that could work for anything.  The more you exercise, the more you look forward to it.  The more you eat well, the more you develop a taste for fruits and vegetables rather than junk food.  Below are some pictures of the gorgeous mornings I get to see on my way to the temple!



However, I lament, as did Nephi, at what a wretched person I am because of my weakness.  Too much pride; too little patience.



George the cat says all I have to do it eat, sleep, and play.  But I can't take anything he says seriously.  He sleeps in the sink!


I just feel so much anxiety all the time and I can't figure out why this increase.  My fortune cookie says a road trip with friends is just what I need.  I wish! 

I heard a neat TedxTalk (sp?) by James Perry (from Studio C)- how I stumbled on a purpose.  When I'm feeling anxiety over not being as awesome as other people or just not being able to do it all, I say, "Well at least I'm not killing puppies."  Sounds morbid, but if you watch the talk, you'll understand.  It just is something that helps you put things into perspective and relax when you need to.

My friend Misty B. gave such a wonderful talk today in sacrament meeting about gratitude. Misty's talk was of the importance of expressing gratitude in all things, and how in doing this, we literally change our brains.  I've heard all this before, but it's different when delivered by the Spirit.  She told the story of a mother in another TedTalk (Hailey Bartholomew-365), who had a beautiful experience as she actively looked for things to be grateful for.

The blessings of being grateful are many, but one is that you make people around you feel like they're enough.  What a gift to make those around you feel like they're enough!

Cultivate the virtue of gratitude

Speaking of road trips, Rick and Sunny and their kids just stopped by overnight on a long road trip.  It was great to see them.  I was pretty stressed out though.  The house was a super mess, and it's all so overwhelming.  Thankfully Pat and the kids are good cleaners.  I've been purging and rearranging things to try to make the house prettier and more functional.  But it's always a mess, as is my car.  Entropy! We had a delicious dinner (Navajo tacos with Indian fry bread), the kids played a lot, and we went for a walk.  Then Pat and Rick played a game together and became super boring so I went to bed :)  I left early the next day to go to the temple and they left shortly after me on their way.





Evan achieved his Arrow of Light (highest award in Cub Scouts) and had his cross-over ceremony into Boy Scouts.  We're sure proud of him.  It was a little sad because they normally have a really neat ceremony with candles and boy scouts dressed in animal skins and special words.  I forgot about all that and only remembered when he mentioned it.  Apparently he'd been paying attention and expected it to happen for him like for the other boys.  I felt so bad! I'm proud that he handled it so well!

He's been working a lot this summer taking care of our neighbors animals.  Mike came over and paid him $70 in ones!  It was hilarious when Evan told us later.  Made him so happy.  He likes taking care of others animals and I never have to wake him up or remind him in the morning or evening.  He just takes care of it and does a wonderful job!  I wish I had a him for when we go out of town.

No comments: